Duquette: "We will have more than enough offense"

Sports Guy

You pick the overall best players, not the ones who fit into your vision of the team.
Exactly, and this simple point seems to be rocket science for this team. Bottom line: Knott's overall package is far, far better than Bynum's overall package. Same with House vs. Bako.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is one ugly comparison.

We start with Payton, Patterson and Markakis. Then we add fourth outfielder that can play defense and hit. That is not Bynum who can't hit or Gibbons or Knott who are not good defensive players. The O's need another good defensive OF that can hit.

Hmm, well last time I checked Carl Crawford wasn't available to come be our 4th outfielder. The choice was between Knott/DuBois or Bynum. Not anyone else. Who helps the team more? A no hit lefty who can play a bunch of positions and isnt even that great of an outfielder, or a guy who hits lefties very well, and is an average (or maybe below average) outfielder, who could also play first in a pinch. I'm sorry, but Sammy made the wrong decision.

Pitching and defense win games in the National League. When you are an American League team especially in the AL East, you need offense to compete. I take Knott or Dubois over Bynum any day of the week. If Patterson gets hurt, slide Markakis over to CF. The game has changed a lot since 1983.

I am not sure that is true. 1-0 still wins. So does 3-2. The chances are greater that the O's as a franchise can out pitch the Yanks and Red Sox is much better than out hit them.

Look at what is in place. Bedard, Cabrera and Loewen. High ceiling starters that could be hard for the AL East teams to match. Now add a good pen and to additional starters with promise in Penn and Olson.

Pitching and defense is the O's chance to beat the Yankees and Red Sox. They need an offense too, but it starts with pitching and defense.

I am not sure that is true. 1-0 still wins. So does 3-2. The chance are greater that the O's as a franchise can out pitch the Yanks and Red Sox is much better then out hit them.

Look at what is in place. Bedard, Cabrera and Loewen. High ceiling starters that could be hard for the AL East teams to match. Now add a good pen and to additional starters with promise in Penn and Olson.

Pitching and defense is the O's chance to beat the Yankees and Red Sox. The need a offense too, but it starts with pitching and defense.

"Outpitching" them still means outscoring them. You're not going to shut out the Yankees consistently - hell, they even scored in Cabrera's near no-hitter.

I am not sure that is true. 1-0 still wins. So does 3-2. The chances are greater that the O's as a franchise can out pitch the Yanks and Red Sox is much better than out hit them.

Pitching and defense is the O's chance to beat the Yankees and Red Sox. They need an offense too, but it starts with pitching and defense.

I understand your love for pitching and defense. Great. But who gives us a better chance to win games, Knott or Bynum? I can't actually believe anyone will say Bynum.

It comes down to what 9 guys give you the best chance to win. If Knott being in the lineup scores 40 more runs during the year but gives 10 back on defense, is better than a Bynum lineup scoring 25 and giving up 5, then you go with the best differential. Defense, Offense, Whatever. The idea is to win. You can debate Bynum overall compared to Knott overall but this idea that pitching and defense wins and we need Bynum because of defense is all wet, IMO.

This all goes back to Spilborghs. That is all he is saying without mentioning his name.

No I am not supporting Bynum (can't hit). And I am not supporting Knott if he is not good enough defensively to help this team.

The O's have been talking about adding a righthanded hitting outfielder. Its been in many articles. There are at least 120 outfielders in the majors. Probably another 10-20 in the minors that could be in the majors. I say the O's need to get one that the can play defense and hit.

The O's have a bunch of pitchers at AAA. Birkins, Burres, Bell etc are not high ceiling guys. They need to trade one for a 4th outfielder. I am not going to name an outfielder. That is not the point. On this point I agree with Sam. If he want a 4th outfielder that can hit and play defense - finish the job. Get him one.

No I am not supporting Bynum (can't hit). And I am not supporting Knott if he is not good enough defensively to help this team.

The O's have been talking about adding a righthanded hitting outfielder. Its been in many articles. There are at least 120 outfielders in the majors. Probably another 10-20 in the minors that could be in the majors. I say the O's need to get one that the can play defense and hit.

The O's have a bunch of pitchers at AAA. Birkins, Burres, Bell etc are not high ceiling guys. They need to trade one for a 4th outfielder. I am not going to name an outfielder. That is not the point. On this point I agree with Sam. If he want a 4th outfielder that can hit and play defense - finish the job. Get him one.

Well he is, so this is a moot point i guess, right?

Refresh my memoy SG? Who is that?

A run of the mill 4th or 5th RH OFer type that had a good spring for the Rockies and was sent down. He can play all 3 OF positions and seems to be slightly above average defensively but his offense isn't that great.

Fine, Beltran is definitely better than Markakis. Anyway, your point I believe is that you wouldn't want an OF of Knott, Markakis, and Gibbons for more than 5 games, but that you could live with an OF of Gibbons, Bynum, and Markakis for more than 5 games. My contention is that the defensively challenged OF will probably win just as many games as the other one. And again, just like the Orioles you plan for the exception and not the rule. Better to be prepared for an emergency than to be a better team EVERYDAY.

Bingo!

I love how people are only thinking abotu Bynum in the field. What about at the plate? How many times will he cost us a run here or there and how much will that be made up in the field.

Again, he is not that great defensively. People are acting as if he is another CPat out there or something.

Stop acting like we have Conine in CF and Berroa and Bonilla on the corners. You are greatly exaggerating how poor that OF would be.

I thought we had Bengie Molina in center, and an artist's rendering of a snail with Curt Blefary's face and the statue of Babe Ruth at the corners?

Archived