We need 3 catchers on this roster

Aglets

I think the elephant in the room here is the assumption that Steve Clevenger is a very good hitter of major league pitching. His AAA OPS is currently .793, driven by a .322 batting average. It's hard for me to see him OPSing .750 in the majors (his career MLB OPS currently is .579). We're not in some perfectly efficient world, but it seems that if he was really a good MLB player he would have more than 352 PAs through the age of 29. Both the '12 Cubs and '14 Orioles gave him a few at bats and he was dreadful. Of course I was also the one who thought the circumstantial evidence surrounding Caleb Joseph was pretty harsh, too, so what do I know?

Steve Clevenger is a very good AAA hitter. For a catcher. Of which we have no room for. Move on until September.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve Clevenger is a very good AAA hitter. For a catcher. Of which we have no room for. Move on until September.

We do need another RH bat for facing LHP. So Clevenger doesn't help that. But Walker or Alvarez could. I'm just done with Snider. Of all the dead money this year, he's the one guy still hanging around somehow. With Parra on the team now Snider is useless. Well he has been anyway.

So Buck responded. By making Flaherty catch all of Chen's bullpen today. Schoop wanted to. But Buck said "NO!"
Not only do these guys want to win all the games they want to play all the positions. You gotta like that. :smile11:

Looks like Buck agrees about batting two catchers. Looking forward to seeing how this goes moving forward.

Sure, when Joseph catches, Wieters is the logical DH. The question is whether Joseph can DH when Wieters catches. As much as I like Joseph, I would rather drop Snider and go with Walker, Mancini, or Alvarez.

Sure, when Joseph catches, Wieters is the logical DH. The question is whether Joseph can DH when Wieters catches. As much as I like Joseph, I would rather drop Snider and go with Walker, Mancini, or Alvarez.

Alvarez and Walker both have a sub .750 OPS at AAA Norfolk and Mancini's walk rate this year is below 5.0%. None of them would be upgrades over Snider.

I was in the middle of that. And it was ridiculous. The Orioles were carrying Chavez (lifetime OPS of .570) just in case they DH'd Lopez, Hernandez got hurt, and there was no other catcher on the roster. Of course they could have moved Lopez from DH to catcher, losing the DH for a few innings, and then calling up a catcher from the minors right after the game. But Sam Perlozzo seemed to think that option was so offensive that it warranted devoting 1/25th of the roster to a 3rd no-hit catcher, and placing him in the spot where the fire extinguisher normally sat behind a piece of glass labeled "in case of emergency..."

Good times.

Archived