Crush surpassed his 2014 HR and RBI totals last night

Frobby

Ill be the first to admit that I am far from an expert. So I ask, How good is Davis as a RF? Especially considering half his games are in Camden. I ask, because if Davis is an average defender in RF while hitting 260/340/500 with 30+HR's and 100RBI's... Then we really need to reconsider is value

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ill be the first to admit that I am far from an expert. So I ask, How good is Davis as a RF? Especially considering half his games are in Camden. I ask, because if Davis is an average defender in RF while hitting 260/340/500 with 30+HR's and 100RBI's... Then we really need to reconsider is value

My guess he is about league average.

Davis' career and 2015 lines are both close to .250/.320/.500. That's probably his baseline projection going forward, but declining a bit each year. He might be an average RFer for now, but he does make quite a few awkward looking plays and takes some interesting routes.

o

Chris Davis has 6 HR's and 19 RBI's over his last 10 games.

The last Oriole to do so was ...... Chris Davis, in his fist 10 games of the 2013 season.

https://twitter.com/masnroch

And over the last 30 seasons (1986-2015), the only other Orioles to equal or better this feat were Albert Belle in June of 2000, and Cal Ripken, Jr. in May/June of 1996.

https://twitter.com/masnroch

Really the top priority should be signing Manny to a long term deal. Once that's done (or it becomes clear that it can't be done), you can figure out how much is available to spend on other players. But you don't want to spend it on other players first and then not have enough to pay Manny what he's worth.

I agree 100% Manny is a future Hall of Famer, Keep him in Baltimore and 20 years from now you will be adding the #13 to the courtyard and we will be attending his statute dedication. He has to be #1 priority this off-season.

Does anyone see the irony in offering a flawed power hitter at LEAST 17 m a year when we let our team MVP(Cruz) go for less annually over a 4 year contract?Sure, he's much older than Davis and he's had some problems staying in the lineup over the years, but it shows you that the deal that Seattle made is actually a much more reasonable deal that someone will offer Davis, maybe even us.

Davis is also a good defensive 1st baseman, whereas Cruz is a DH that is not particularly good in the outfield.

That (to me) is a pretty significant factor that needs to be considered in the equation/comparison of the 2 players.

Does anyone see the irony in offering a flawed power hitter at LEAST 17 m a year when we let our team MVP(Cruz) go for less annually over a 4 year contract?Sure, he's much older than Davis and he's had some problems staying in the lineup over the years, but it shows you that the deal that Seattle made is actually a much more reasonable deal that someone will offer Davis, maybe even us.

You've pretty much answered your own question, Roy. The bolded statement is a big deal, not a minor issue. Davis also has a higher defensive value than Cruz.

Davis is six year younger but I understand your point. The Orioles shouldn't offer a deal more than 4 years, $60 million for him. If that's not enough, just give him the qualifying offer and let him go.

Archived