vs. ROYALS, 8/24

OFFNY

Infante is a career .272 hitter. Looking at this year stats is useless. He is a gap hitter. Means you play back not in.

34 years old, slugged .337 last year and .302 this year. Sorry, I'm not buying. 2 seasons in the last 13 with OPS+ over 100.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A dink is acceptable. Getting beat deep is not. Infante is a gap hitter.

When your playing to keep a run off the board, you play for the odds of it being a dink. While I don't agree with Jones playing so shallow, I also can understand the logic with a player like Infante, at the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 years old, slugged .337 last year and .302 this year. Sorry, I'm not buying. 2 seasons in the last 13 with OPS+ over 100.

Look at his doubles and triples. Then talk. He's a gap hitter. Stop defending stupid positioning and ego. Jones had the same issues fielding in 2010 and 2011.

Firstly, you have to figure out if there is a "fault" at all. Is the team gaining defensive outs by playing where he is playing.

You can't rely on selective memory to determine if Jones' position is right, wrong, unlucky, or what.

Plus I have a feeling that having a ball fly over the center fielder's head leaves a more lasting impression on folks than a dink that drops in front. Without looking at data, it is difficult to say if Jones consistently plays out of position. Even with data, it is a difficult question since what you want to know is how many more outs (or less bases given up) would Jones have made if he was positioned differently. You need to clone Jones and do an experiment I think.

The way this whole team is tanking, looking lifeless and deficient in defensive and baserunning fundamentals, would be heading toward a fire-the-manager situation if the manager were someone other than Buck.

Barring something like a 4-28 finish, no one is getting fired just because our weaknesses have all been exposed at once down the stretch. But our team is going to look very different next season, is my guess...

Archived