Alvarez coming up per Roch.

bpilktree

I had to think for a minute... Edgar, right? Yep. The Mariners of the late 80s were so, so messed up. "We don't need that guy, he can't field, and besides, everyone hits .360 in the PCL and we have Jim Presley!"

I immediately thought of him.

And I think he has a pretty good shot at eventual enshrinement.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had to think for a minute... Edgar, right? Yep. The Mariners of the late 80s were so, so messed up. "We don't need that guy, he can't field, and besides, everyone hits .360 in the PCL and we have Jim Presley!"

Was Jim Presley their Nolan Riemold?

He has some stats for sure that helps him, and on the other hand, but his career WAR is pretty low for a HOFer.

His last 5 years of his career, probably didn't help his cause.

I don't think it has hurt him. Those likely to ignore his career in Japan are probably the same type that like counting numbers.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Now told Alvarez not joining <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> today</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">August 27, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Himm sounds like somebody jumped the gun? Or is he still coming when we get to TX?

He has some stats for sure that helps him, and on the other hand, but his career WAR is pretty low for a HOFer.

His last 5 years of his career, probably didn't help his cause.

His WAR is literally double that of some other HOFers. Heck, almost triple that of Ray Schalk. And I think it's fairly obvious that he was a MLB-MVP-caliber player for about seven years prior to coming to the States. If he'd been born in the US he'd be closing in on Rose's hit record. And no one ever hurt their HOF chances by hanging around collecting counting stats. Ernie Banks spent the last decade of his career as a (mostly) below average first baseman. Heck, there are a good number of players who got to the Hall by padding their career numbers with random average seasons in order to get to some milestone number. Craig Biggio was probably a below-average player during the last eight years of his career.

Archived