It might be time to go full 76ers mode down the stretch.

sportsfan8703

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be surprised if the average fan can name 20 players on the roster.

I think we've found a good use for Tom Davis, and a way to fill the time opened up when we convince MASN to stop putting up stupid stat factoids: We get Tom to wander around the stands like he used to do on HTS, and he'll ask random fans questions about the organization. Like "name the Orioles starting infield". Or "name someone currently playing for the Norfolk Tides." "What does RBI stand for?" "Who is the Orioles' all time leader in homers?" "Name all the Ripkens you've ever heard of." "Who was the Orioles manager in 1982? 1983?" Over the course of the year we'll have a fairly good look at what the average Oriole fan is. And it'll be much closer to my wife or my kids than you or me.

Right.

That was a number of years ago but those would qualify.

2009 doesn't.

We paid serious money for guys like Colin Poche etc. Just off the top of my head. We did go way overslot late in rounds in the Hobgood draft. I'm just learning about the new draft system now. But you'll see teams(O's included) draft senior signs in the top 10 just so they can sign them for 10,000 K and have more pool money available for the rest. I'm starting to understand that where you get drafted in the baseball draft is not really important. That's why you see some guys get drafted in the 25th rd become MLB'ers. They were probably top NCAA recruits and were dead set on going to college. But your hometown team takes you and you're willing to sign. Baseball is by far the most complex sport out of the NFL and NBA.

I know. I'm trying to compliment the board as a whole and being mocked. Very strange.

My intent was to point out that what you call "smart fans" don't think in lock step. They often have more of a diversity of opinion than less-informed people. The very first sentence of this thread strongly implied that, or flat out said, that all smart people think the same thing.

Keep in mind you're also trying to make the case that punting the rest of the season is something other than odious.

Punt the season? The season is over. We're still going to play our regulars. I want to get a look at Doyle, C.Jones and Triggs. Who knows what their contract is for next year. They could be MILB FA's. I really don't know. Rep for anyone who does.

If we really want to punt the season the best way by far would be to keep running out our current rotation for 5 innings a night. I'm not going to have to root too hard for a top 10 pick.

Punt the season? The season is over. We're still going to play our regulars. I want to get a look at Doyle, C.Jones and Triggs. Who knows what their contract is for next year. They could be MILB FA's. I really don't know. Rep for anyone who does.

If we really want to punt the season the best way by far would be to keep running out our current rotation for 5 innings a night. I'm not going to have to root too hard for a top 10 pick.

The season is over for whom? Not for me, not for the people in the stands every game, not for the people in the game thread except maybe for the odd troll, and I think it's safe to say not for anybody in the Orioles dugout.

What could "full 76ers mode" possibly mean other than play to lose as many as possible to improve draft position. In many circles (sadly not all) the 76ers have been reviled for that choice and rightly so, it's contemptible behavior and a disservice to their fans. Unless the players put in their best effort to win the game, the contest has no meaning.

I don't understand your point about giving Davis and Parra normal AB's so "we can have a shot at signing them". Why would they want to play for a team that thinks tanking is acceptable?

Several of the Orioles vets have shown a willingness to speak out of turn when they think the occasion warrants it. What do you think their reaction might be if they suspected there was a concerted attempt by management to tank the rest of the season? I doubt it would be pleasant. Losing is losing. All strategic losing is is losing with lipstick on. I think you'll get your wish to see an appropriate amount of playing time from the September call-ups because the pressure is less with a playoff berth falling further out of reach. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Spring Training Lite, though.

Were you envious of the ten in absolute last place before that? Were you envious of the fact that they had to sell EVERY one of their upcoming free agents even if it meant they could never really go for the brass ring?

For a reasonable poster, you really like to scoff at other teams, especially considering the team we root for isn't exactly model franchise. So the Rays don't sign fa? Neither do the os. During the trade deadline you confidently pointed out how the jays were not permitted to spend money. You didn't just point it out, you said it as fact. Turns out....they got better. I just dont think it comes off well trying to be snobby about a team that doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt even. I'm not trying to attack you. I like a lot of points you have. But this was in my craw.

Heck, given the turnover on the roster this year, it's unclear how many OH's could pass this test. What was the roster on July 25?

I think Bud Norris, Tommy Hunter, Delmon Young, Alejandro De Aza, Travis Snider and David Lough all lived here then.

Archived