A potential storm brewing?

Babypowder

On the bright side, after six or eight consecutive 100-loss seasons the push will be strong to move to Portland or Austin or something, and the O's would be potential market for a clean-slate expansion team owned by some mythical rich Baltimorean who will show his commitment to winning with payrolls that vastly exceed the revenues the market is capable of. I just wonder, will the relocated franchise get to keep their share of MASN?

The bright side is Angelos is 86 and hopefully have a change of ownership when his estate is settled.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the bright side, after six or eight consecutive 100-loss seasons the push will be strong to move to Portland or Austin or something, and the O's would be potential market for a clean-slate expansion team owned by some mythical rich Baltimorean who will show his commitment to winning with payrolls that vastly exceed the revenues the market is capable of. I just wonder, will the relocated franchise get to keep their share of MASN?

I don't see the Orioles in Baltimore in 10 to 12 years. Maybe sooner if some things come to fruition. i guess if they get an owner with deep pockets.

I don't see the Orioles in Baltimore in 10 to 12 years. Maybe sooner if some things come to fruition. i guess if they get an owner with deep pockets.

There is no way the Orioles leave Baltimore any time soon. I understand the sky is falling and everything but come on.

The players understand and this is what happens when ownership doesn't commit to winning. There was a core group of players that grew with the success of the franchise - Jones, Hardy, Markakis, Davis, Tillman, Machado, O'Day, Britton, Chen, Gonzalez, and others. There was a clear message sent when the team did not add to the quality of the team this past offseason. Not keeping Markakis, Cruz, or Miller became a watershed event....we either had to keep them or make other legitimate moves that would improve the team. Angelos did neither. When the guy with the purse strings doesn't care about winning that gets infused into the culture of the organization. This past offseason will set this franchise back to the dumpster fire it was for 14 years. We will lose key free agents and return to the days of Will Clark, Delino Deshields, Vlad, and so on. That is how this ownership works.

Ownership showed no desire to keep the 2014 team intact and showed no desire to add payroll.

Adam Jones spoke up in the offseason and wanted answers just as fans did. He got no answers and

take a look at how the season went. Players are galvanized when ownership shows great support.

Just as this organization appeared to have things going in the right direction, I think this offseason we

will see the wheels come off. Wieters, Chen, Davis, O'Day will be gone. No replacements

are coming from the minors. I would venture that the Orioles will predictably not be a major player

in free agency. So what are you left with? A team that at best can finish 4th but most likely dead last.

Ownership showed no desire to keep the 2014 team intact and showed no desire to add payroll.

Adam Jones spoke up in the offseason and wanted answers just as fans did. He got no answers and

take a look at how the season went. Players are galvanized when ownership shows great support.

Just as this organization appeared to have things going in the right direction, I think this offseason we

will see the wheels come off. Wieters, Chen, Davis, O'Day will be gone. No replacements

are coming from the minors. I would venture that the Orioles will predictably not be a major player

in free agency. So what are you left with? A team that at best can finish 4th but most likely dead last.

If that is the case why did payroll go up?

Would have been easy enough to non-tender Matusz and De Aza and save eight million.

Plenty enough stuff to complain about, no need to make stuff up.

Would have been easy enough to non-tender Matusz and De Aza and save eight million.

If you just stick to facts then it's harder to get the mob riled up. Hyperbole can be funny, but it can also be used to foment revolution. Well, at least fake internet revolution that involves more eating of Cheetos than actually changing anything of substance.

I was really kidding, but why would you possibly think that? At first glance the idea seems ludicrous. The Orioles have a long history, a very well established fanbase, and a wonderful stadium. That should put the O's well ahead of similarly-sized relocation candidate cities like Portland or Austin or Sacramento or whatever. There's been one franchise move since I was six months old, and that was a concerted effort to get out of a city where MLB was unable to extort a free new stadium. Even if there was some kind of completely unexpected MLB-wide revenue collapse I'd think there would be quite a few teams ahead of Baltimore on the contraction list.

The players understand and this is what happens when ownership doesn't commit to winning. There was a core group of players that grew with the success of the franchise - Jones, Hardy, Markakis, Davis, Tillman, Machado, O'Day, Britton, Chen, Gonzalez, and others. There was a clear message sent when the team did not add to the quality of the team this past offseason. Not keeping Markakis, Cruz, or Miller became a watershed event....we either had to keep them or make other legitimate moves that would improve the team. Angelos did neither. When the guy with the purse strings doesn't care about winning that gets infused into the culture of the organization. This past offseason will set this franchise back to the dumpster fire it was for 14 years. We will lose key free agents and return to the days of Will Clark, Delino Deshields, Vlad, and so on. That is how this ownership works.

You've perfectly summed up the situation.

Rep to you sir.

MSK

The best part of the last page is that one poster didn't even realize that another poster was making fun of his doomsday craziness. The "spend unlimited payroll regardless of revenues" crew is never going to get it so we might as well have fun with it.

Will some of you PLEASE bookmark this site? All the work is done for you. You just have to read numbers.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/baltimore-orioles/

Payroll

2012 - $84M

2013 - $92M

2014 - $108M

2015 - $119M

If you want to complain about payroll allocation, have at it. I wasn't happy with the allocation either. Norris and De Aza made no sense. Hunter made little sense. But complaining about not increasing payroll after that trend only makes the writer look foolish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But you said all the work was done for me.

The best part of the last page is that one poster didn't even realize that another poster was making fun of his doomsday craziness. The "spend unlimited payroll regardless of revenues" crew is never going to get it so we might as well have fun with it.

Will some of you PLEASE bookmark this site? All the work is done for you. You just have to read numbers.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/baltimore-orioles/

Payroll

2012 - $84M

2013 - $92M

2014 - $108M

2015 - $119M

If you want to complain about payroll allocation, have at it. I wasn't happy with the allocation either. Norris and De Aza made no sense. Hunter made little sense. But complaining about not increasing payroll after that trend only makes the writer look foolish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Their rebuttal is something along the lines of "arbitration raises don't count" usually. Which is hilarious.

I have the same complaints about allocation as you do, although I don't remember a lot of people calling for Norris to be non-tendered. I wanted him traded. I would have non-tendered De Aza, Matusz, and Hunter most likely. I will not complain about a 120 million dollar payroll.

Payroll did not go up to retain or improve the team. We let 3 players core to our 96 win season leave. We tried to replace them with guys like Snider, Parmalee, and so on. The real talent on this team understood the replacements weren't close to what we lost.

Archived