G. Beckham questions

What about him now would prevent him from being drafted in the top 10? If he played well enough, would the O's draft him? If so, just how good would he have to play? If not, why not?

Also, does anyone have a good scouting report on him?

I've scouted one game and have more tape to review. I've been tied up at work but will try to post my write-up.

He isn't a top 10 because he doesn't have the same projection as those talents. You draft him hoping to get a solid ML-player three years from now, as opposed to a potential all-star.

Well, I decided to do some research on Beckham and chose Troy Tulowitzki to compare him to. Now, I know that Tulo is an outstanding defensive SS, but they say Beckham has enough glove to stay at SS. Offensively here is a comparison of their college stats:

Tulo:

18 yrs old ... .270/.307/.408/.715

19 yrs old ... .317/.410/.491/.901

20 yrs old ... .349/.431/.599/1.030

Beckham

19 yrs old ... .280/.348/.490/.838

20 yrs old ... .307/.399/.570/.969

21 yrs old ... .454/.525/.962/1.486 (through 108 ABs)

I know that there are a lot of teams that are kicking themselves that they passed on Tulo in the 2005 draft (taken #7 overall). I hope we don't make the same mistake. I also know that you don't draft for need, but Beckham may be the best player available and if he comes at a pace near Tulo he could be the starting SS in Baltimore by 2010!!

Just food for thought.

Callis was saying that he could see GB moving into the top 10. Said that he has good power and a good glove. Not quite TT, but no slouch either. I think in the top 5 potential is as big a factor as anything. GB is much closer to his potential then Tim Beckham.

Archived