Qualifying Offer Value Set At $17.2MM

wildcard

I can see the press having influence in free agency and trades, but a binary decision like a QO? No, I don't see it. The Orioles or any other team has to have a contingency plan in place if their guys sign the QO.

Are you saying that Duquette allows himself to be swayed by Heyman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan isn't the top link in the chain.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Qualifying offer this off-season will be $17.2M. System expected to remain in place in new CBA, with possible adjustments.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">October 13, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I really don't think Weiters would accept the QO again, even at 17.2M. He'll be looking at a 3 or 4 year deal on the open market with an AAV of 12-15 million IMO. That's enough to turn down a 1yr/17.2M deal. I'd make the offer, pray he turns it down, and take the draft pick.

I really don't think Weiters would accept the QO again, even at 17.2M. He'll be looking at a 3 or 4 year deal on the open market with an AAV of 12-15 million IMO. That's enough to turn down a 1yr/17.2M deal. I'd make the offer, pray he turns it down, and take the draft pick.

Can they afford to pay him that if he does accept? Last offseason they could.

Can they afford to pay him that if he does accept? Last offseason they could.

Well that's the trick, now isn't it? It's definitely a risk, if he accepts it, he's vastly overpaid again. BUT, it's not my money, and it would give us a short term solution until hopefully Sisco is ready. That would be the worst case scenario IMO and it's not all that bad. Obviously I want the draft pick. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Well that's the trick, now isn't it? It's definitely a risk, if he accepts it, he's vastly overpaid again. BUT, it's not my money, and it would give us a short term solution until hopefully Sisco is ready. That would be the worst case scenario IMO and it's not all that bad. Obviously I want the draft pick. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I don't feel Wieters was vastly overpaid this year. In fact, I feel we would not have made the playoffs without him. Fangraphs valued his season at $13.7 mm, or about $2.1 mm less than last year's QO. When you throw in his excellent performance in high-leverage situations (1.83 WPA), I'd say he was worth the QO.

In a way, there is a stronger argument this year for giving Wieters a QO: (1) we now know that he's again capable of carrying a 120-game workload (which wasn't clear going into last season), and (2) the alternative of using Caleb Joseph as the primary catcher doesn't seem nearly as plausible now as it did after last season.

That's a bit of an understatement. I just can't see risking the chance at him accepting the QO again. Why pay him almost $20 Mil. when you can get a FA to fill in for a quarter-to-half of that? You don't need a full time catcher on a long term deal. You just need someone to pair w/ Joseph who will get the majority of play time while you wait on Sisco (or even Wynns).

Put that money to better use.

That's a bit of an understatement. I just can't see risking the chance at him accepting the QO again. Why pay him almost $20 Mil. when you can get a FA to fill in for a quarter-to-half of that? You don't need a full time catcher on a long term deal. You just need someone to pair w/ Joseph who will get the majority of play time while you wait on Sisco (or even Wynns).

You do realize what a nightmare 115 games of Joseph might be right?

I have no interest in continuing on with Joseph.

Well, Wynns is in the Arizona Fall League right now for a reason. His defense is MUCH better than Sisco. His bat isn't "league leading," but he does work the count and gets good contact on the ball.

I haven't seen all the free agents this off season, but is there anyone that would be a good value and cost less, without giving up what a potential Sisco/Joseph, Sisco/Pena, or even Sisco/Wynns platoon would bring (hitting catcher/defensive Sunday day game catcher?)

I honestly don't believe anyone is going to give Wieters 3 or 4 years while also giving up a 1st rounder. He wasn't even a 2fWAR player this year and he's a subpar pitch framer on top of that. Look at Dexter Fowler, he couldn't get a 3 year deal coming off a 3.3fWAR season. If Baltimore gives Wieters a QO, he's going to accept it.

I honestly don't believe anyone is going to give Wieters 3 or 4 years while also giving up a 1st rounder. He wasn't even a 2fWAR player this year and he's a subpar pitch framer on top of that. Look at Dexter Fowler, he couldn't get a 3 year deal coming off a 3.3fWAR season. If Baltimore gives Wieters a QO, he's going to accept it.

O's offered him 3/33-35.

Archived