2nd tier FA you would like to see play for the O's

OsEatAlEast

Fowler and Zobrist would be my top targets. Zobrist #1, because he doesn't cost a pick, is not that expensive, has a high OBP is a SH, and plays 5 different positions well.

Plus, we all know Buck loves the guy(Zobrist). He's probably as good a bet as any to be an O's FA target.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of these sound reasonable, but 10 mil for Happ? He's about to turn 33 and a career #4/#5 starter. I can see him getting 10 mil over two years, maybe. Span will have a tough time getting 11 mil unless he's taking a one or two year contract. He needs to prove his health.

I like Jaso as the left handed half of a platoon with Pearce or maybe a full time DH if we have to move Pearce to first.

Happ is coming off a very strong season and an especially strong second half. He has that "maybe he's figured something out" appeal. Maybe he won't get a $10MM AAV, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think he could get 2/20 but he'll probably prefer a 3/25 contract. I'd take either. He's a very similar pitcher to Chen, but older. Probably about a 2-2.5 WAR guy.

If Span hadn't gotten hurt this year he would have gotten a huge contract. He'll be 32 next year and he's an exceptional player. Even in 61 games this year he was 1.4 WAR. I think his track record is long enough that he won't need to take a 1 year, establish your value type contract unless he wants to gamble for a bigger payday next year. He's going to get around $10MM AAV from somebody, and likely at least 3 yrs.

But I hope you're right and we can get them cheaper than what I have them pegged at.

Fowler and Zobrist would be my top targets. Zobrist #1, because he doesn't cost a pick, is not that expensive, has a high OBP is a SH, and plays 5 different positions well.

Fowler will likely get a QO but if he doesn't he'd be my top OF target, no arguments there.

I love Zobrist but there's no way he isn't in huge demand. We could certainly use him and every team in baseball is saying the same thing. His age will keep him from getting a monster contract but somebody is going to pay him alot of money, and it's not going to be the Orioles. His best value is as a 2B and we have Schoop there already. I think he gets 3/40 at least from somebody, probably more, and potentially way more.

Personally, I wouldn't pursue Zobrist all that aggressively. All of the positives that people cite(OBP, versatility, SH, no compensation, etc.) are correct, but they also likely mean that his market will be quite lively. Not sure I want to get into a bidding war for a guy that will turn 35 before the AS break next year.

I love Zobrist but there's no way he isn't in huge demand. We could certainly use him and every team in baseball is saying the same thing. His age will keep him from getting a monster contract but somebody is going to pay him alot of money, and it's not going to be the Orioles. His best value is as a 2B and we have Schoop there already. I think he gets 3/40 at least from somebody, probably more, and potentially way more.

Beat me to the punch, haha.

Fowler will likely get a QO but if he doesn't he'd be my top OF target, no arguments there.

Zobrist is coming off a 5M AAV contract. He will get more than that, but at his age I doubt a lot more, the big issue for him will be the years. Here's what I would offer in terms of AAV.

Zobrist 8M

Kazmir 12M

Happ 6 M

Pearce 3M

Morneau 5M

All those salaries are more than they got last season.

Zobrist is coming off a 5M AAV contract. He will get more than that, but at his age I doubt a lot more, the big issue for him will be the years. Here's what I would offer in terms of AAV.

Zobrist 8M

Kazmir 12M

Happ 6 M

Pearce 3M

Morneau 5M

All those salaries are more than they got last season.

Zobrist is coming off one of the most team friendly deals of the past decade - also he was paid $7.5MM on his option this year, that's far more relevant than the AAV of his contract he signed when he was still pre-arbitration. He signed it in April 2010 coming off a monster season after previously barely breaking into the major leagues at age 28. That's not going to be a relevant anchoring point at all in negotiations, he's going to get well north of $12MM AAV at the very least. He'll probably sacrifice some AAV to get the 4th year, at his age.

Kazmir will get $12MM AAV for 4 years, that's probably about right, he's probably going to be asking for 4/60. I'd do 4/48, but not higher than $12MM AAV unless it's 3 years.

Happ is hard to peg, but I think the sabermetrically friendly teams will like him. I wouldn't be surprised by anything between $6-10AAV and 2-4 years.

Pearce at 3 is good, agree with you there. The question is 1 or 2 years.

Morneau will probably get about 5, similar to Jaso, agree there too. Both guys can definitely hit but can't stay healthy. If we don't resign Davis I'd prefer Morneau since he can play 1st, as a pure DH Jaso might have the edge.

Zobrist is coming off one of the most team friendly deals of the past decade - also he was paid $7.5MM on his option this year, that's far more relevant than the AAV of his contract he signed when he was still pre-arbitration. He signed it in April 2010 coming off a monster season after previously barely breaking into the major leagues at age 28. That's not going to be a relevant anchoring point at all in negotiations, he's going to get well north of $12MM AAV at the very least. He'll probably sacrifice some AAV to get the 4th year, at his age.

Kazmir will get $12MM AAV for 4 years, that's probably about right, he's probably going to be asking for 4/60. I'd do 4/48, but not higher than $12MM AAV unless it's 3 years.

Happ is hard to peg, but I think the sabermetrically friendly teams will like him. I wouldn't be surprised by anything between $6-10AAV and 2-4 years.

Pearce at 3 is good, agree with you there. The question is 1 or 2 years.

Morneau will probably get about 5, similar to Jaso, agree there too. Both guys can definitely hit but can't stay healthy. If we don't resign Davis I'd prefer Morneau since he can play 1st, as a pure DH Jaso might have the edge.

Disagree about Zobrist he's 34 and the last 3 years he's averaged .274 .356 .413 .769 I doubt he's getting 12 M AAV.

Disagree about Zobrist he's 34 and the last 3 years he's averaged .274 .356 .413 .769 I doubt he's getting 12 M AAV.

Neither should he be counted on to be the Zobrist of yore either. He can be ~2 win player next year though. Hard to believe he's almost at 40 but he's such a sabermetrician's dream.

I'm definitely on the John Jaso bandwagon. He's about the best bargain platoon LH bat out there, and especially without Davis, the team needs a LH bat to stabilize the middle of the lineup.

Neither should he be counted on to be the Zobrist of yore either. He can be ~2 win player next year though. Hard to believe he's almost at 40 but he's such a sabermetrician's dream.

I'm definitely on the John Jaso bandwagon. He's about the best bargain platoon LH bat out there, and especially without Davis, the team needs a LH bat to stabilize the middle of the lineup.

Left handed power. Not left handed OBP.

I'll take Jaso and his on base skills and modest power for 5M or there abouts. I'd like to trade for Adam Lind, solid hitter, average power. Got any ideas for a power left handed bat that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

No. It's pretty scarce. And we need one. We won't ever win as a small ball club. I guess I would go for Lind. What would it take?

Having good hitters isn't small ball. You have tunnel vision for home runs. Lind? He's on a favorable one year contract (8M club option) and is a FA after this year. Brewers have little chance in the central next year. I doubt they can get an elite prospect. Can we pry him lose with Walker (they will ask for Mancini), Mike Wright, and a lower level guy?

Probably not. Subsitute Mancini and you have a deal, IMO but I would restructure another way if the Walker deal doesn't get it done.

I want to replace the left handed power that we are losing. It will take more than one player to do that. Good hitters you can find. Power is not something that you get out of a bottle as much these days. Our park is built for men who can lift and separate. From the Left side. We play half of our games there. And even more in the AL East Band Boxes.

Funny. We have hit 200 home runs for 4 years in a row. We have had an average offense. There are 15 teams in the AL.

2015 - 7th

2014 - 6th

2013- 4th

2012 - 9th

That's pretty much an average offense with your mandate on home runs.

I really like the way the Rangers offense is aggressive on the bases. They score more than we do, and with fewer home runs. Got to get on base and take the extra base.

Funny. We have hit 200 home runs for 4 years in a row. We have had an average offense. There are 15 teams in the AL.

2015 - 7th

2014 - 6th

2013- 4th

2012 - 9th

That's pretty much an average offense with your mandate on home runs.

Amen. Getting on base plays well in every park. Power does not. Both are nice to have.

I want to replace the left handed power that we are losing. It will take more than one player to do that. Good hitters you can find. Power is not something that you get out of a bottle as much these days. Our park is built for men who can lift and separate. From the Left side. We play half of our games there. And even more in the AL East Band Boxes.

...as long as we don't give up a pick, right?

Archived