2nd tier FA you would like to see play for the O's

OsEatAlEast

Depending on cost (and I don't think he'd cost a lot given this past year), but Matt Joyce would be a candidate to be on the strong side platoon with Alvarez in the outfield.

Career .253/.348/.447/.795 against righties

Career .322/.407/.587/.995 in OPaCY (148PA)

Mostly positive stats in the field (really down this year). I think he just doesn't fit with the Angels.

Alvarez has very strong LHP splits and I envisioned him as a 4th outfielder anyway.

Joyce isn't a "2nd Tier" free agent, but I think Joyce is a realistic option for the Orioles next year if they can get him on a minor league deal or something low risk.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Depending on cost (and I don't think he'd cost a lot given this past year), but Matt Joyce would be a candidate to be on the strong side platoon with Alvarez in the outfield.

Career .253/.348/.447/.795 against righties

Career .322/.407/.587/.995 in OPaCY (148PA)

Mostly positive stats in the field (really down this year). I think he just doesn't fit with the Angels.

Alvarez has very strong LHP splits and I envisioned him as a 4th outfielder anyway.

Joyce isn't a "2nd Tier" free agent, but I think Joyce is a realistic option for the Orioles next year if they can get him on a minor league deal or something low risk.

I agree, Joyce is a very good buy-low candidate. He will only be in his age 31 season and this year statistically appears to be an aberration. When I do my edition of FAs to consider/avoid, he'll be in my top five as he fits the profile.

Career line: .242/.335/.426, 112 OPS+

2015: .174/.272/.291, 60 OPS+

I am more of a fan of John Jaso as an Orioles target, but who's to say they can't go for both left handed bats.

I agree, Joyce is a very good buy-low candidate. He will only be in his age 31 season and this year statistically appears to be an aberration. When I do my edition of FAs to consider/avoid, he'll be in my top five as he fits the profile.

I am more of a fan of John Jaso as an Orioles target, but who's to say they can't go for both left handed bats.

This is what I mean by dumpster diving! Hoping a guy that hit ..170 rebounds to .240. But there would be some happy people here if he is signed. Talk about low expectations! :mad:

I think your being a little pick obsessed. If the right guy at the right price comes along and costs a pick the O's will sign him. Instead of 3 picks they will have 2 ect.

If CD agreed to terms that the O's could live with they would certainly resign and him and in effect that resigning would cost a pick. If the O's would forgo a pick for CD and his production at the right price, there is no reason to believe they would not do so for another player if the price was right.

The will and should value those comp picks but it should not be the end all be all.

I want to keep the picks. Call me obsessed. If we had done better this season I would agree. It is our Pitching I wish to see improved, and without giving up picks.

We need left handed bats that do not cost picks.

Jaso would be a solid pickup as a catcher with Joseph, again, because of Joseph's ability to hit lefties. I don't know if Jaso still has the chops to catch though.

I want to keep the picks. Call me obsessed. If we had done better this season I would agree. It is our Pitching I wish to see improved, and without giving up picks.

Picks are fine but it's incredibly difficult to have your picks and eat them too. Improving the pitching in a substantial way is undoubtedly going to require sacrificing picks. We get several compensatory picks this year, supposing we offer them to Chen and Davis, and maybe Wieters.

I know they're concerned Wieters will take it; I wonder if that's the worst thing in the world to happen. I think he just needs to get healthy and have a real spring training.

Picks are fine but it's incredibly difficult to have your picks and eat them too. Improving the pitching in a substantial way is undoubtedly going to require sacrificing picks. We get several compensatory picks this year, supposing we offer them to Chen and Davis, and maybe Wieters.

I know they're concerned Wieters will take it; I wonder if that's the worst thing in the world to happen. I think he just needs to get healthy and have a real spring training.

I am all for giving him a QO. I want all the picks this time. All.

Wieters won't accept the QO. I was a little worried in August but he finished strong enough. Someone will offer him 4/50 at a minimum.

How about 4th tier guys? I would like to see the Orioles give Mike McKenry a chance. He just makes too much sense in Baltimore. Good game caller, decent defense, a little power and well the name, phonetically at least.

And his Twitter handle is actually "theFortMcKenry". It's like this guy was born to play in Baltimore.

Archived