2nd tier FA you would like to see play for the O's

OsEatAlEast

Give and example of a 2016 2nd tier FA and why you'd like to see them play for the O's. A guy I'd really like to see on the O's is Austin Jackson. My reason is because the guy catches everything hit his way. Plus he has some pop and some speed. Only real drawback is the .333 lifetime obp. But even that isn't that bad considering it's still better than most on the O's.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give and example of a 2016 2nd tier FA and why you'd like to see them play for the O's. A guy I'd really like to see on the O's is Austin Jackson. My reason is because the guy catches everything hit his way. Plus he has some pop and some speed. Only real drawback is the .333 lifetime obp. But even that isn't that bad considering it's still better than most on the O's.

The Orioles have been a flawed team in regards to OBP. No reason to add guys with that issue. Does Dexter Fowler count as first tier or second?

The Orioles have been a flawed team in regards to OBP. No reason to add guys with that issue. Does Dexter Fowler count as first tier or second?

I haven't seen a lot of Fowler. But the speed and power combo with a career obp of .363 strikes me as being on the fence between 1st and 2nd tier.

Kazmir. Upgrade over Chen, does not cost a pick, cheaper than Price and Greinke.
SP: Cueto, Kazmir, Leake, not getting QOs, Colon, Pelfry, Estrada, Morrow, Fister, not likely toget QO. Position Players. Zobrist, Pearce, Morneau, Jackson, Span, Puig.

Kazmir does intrigue me pitching at least 180 innings the past three seasons. Cueto falls into that same category also. We need consistent innings eaters first and foremost.

Edit: Leake has pitched at least 180 inning the last four seasons. Definitely worth a look.

I'd like to see us snag Denard Span and Will Venable to man the COF spots, with Pearce, Reimold, or a commensurate RH guy to platoon with Venable. We need some LHHs to balance the lineup, and a bit of speed wouldn't hurt either, and neither guy's pricetag should exceed our price range.

Kazmir would be my top target for the rotation. We need a lefty to replace Chen, so this one is pretty self-explanatory.

I have no idea what we're going to about 1B if(when, really) Davis walks. The list of FA 1Bs is a ghost town, and it's not like we have much on the farm to dangle as trade bait either.

I have a strong feeling Pearce will be the OD starter at 1B next year. I can't say I like that idea, but there don't seem to be many viable alternatives. Daniel Murphy, maybe...?

I haven't seen a lot of Fowler. But the speed and power combo with a career obp of .363 strikes me as being on the fence between 1st and 2nd tier.

.757 OPS this season and .781 career with most of his career being played in Colorado. He's definitely a second-tier FA, but one I'd love to have. You have Davis, Heyward, Upton, Cespedes, and Alex Gordon alone in that first tier of bats with guys like Fowler, Span, Zobrist, Daniel Murphy in the second tier. Ian Desmond straddles that first and second tier due to his poor 2015, but he would have been talked about along with the other top FA's if he was coming off a typical season.

Is it just me or does this free agent class look like one of the better ones in recent memory? With a pretty good mix of good players and role players. If the O's act quick this off season (I know that is asking a lot) they could fill some needs quite well.

I like Jackson. I'd like him more if he was left handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaso for DH is the main under the radar guy I would love. He's a great hitter vs. RHP and gets on base at a great clip.

Outside of that, just mostly echoing the rest of what people have said: Span, Venable, Pearce, Parra in the OF. DeJesus if we need somebody real cheap. Same with Joyce as a bounceback candidate for DH, if not Jaso. Kazmir, Happ, Leake, Anderson, Gallardo, Iwakuma, Kennedy, Fister SP.

If we non-tender Gonzalez and Matusz we will have about $55-60 million to spend. We need 1B, LF, RF, DH, SP, SP. That's a ton of holes to fill, so we can probably only get one big name guy and then a lot of mid-range and bargain types.

If I could choose: Davis $22MM, Span $11MM, Jaso $5MM, Venable $3MM, Pearce $3MM, Happ $10MM, Kennedy $5MM.

Is it just me or does this free agent class look like one of the better ones in recent memory? With a pretty good mix of good players and role players. If the O's act quick this off season (I know that is asking a lot) they could fill some needs quite well.

There are about 10 to 15 potential impact bats and 30 teams looking to make some type of improvement. Runs and power especially are at more of a premium than ever. I think the bats go fast and a lot of the second tier SP will still be looking for jobs in January.

Jaso for DH is the main under the radar guy I would love. He's a great hitter vs. RHP and gets on base at a great clip.

Outside of that, just mostly echoing the rest of what people have said: Span, Venable, Pearce, Parra in the OF. DeJesus if we need somebody real cheap. Same with Joyce as a bounceback candidate for DH, if not Jaso. Kazmir, Happ, Leake, Anderson, Gallardo, Iwakuma, Kennedy, Fister SP.

If we non-tender Gonzalez and Matusz we will have about $55-60 million to spend. We need 1B, LF, RF, DH, SP, SP. That's a ton of holes to fill, so we can probably only get one big name guy and then a lot of mid-range and bargain types.

If I could choose: Davis $22MM, Span $11MM, Jaso $5MM, Venable $3MM, Pearce $3MM, Happ $10MM, Kennedy $5MM.

Most of these sound reasonable, but 10 mil for Happ? He's about to turn 33 and a career #4/#5 starter. I can see him getting 10 mil over two years, maybe. Span will have a tough time getting 11 mil unless he's taking a one or two year contract. He needs to prove his health.

I like Jaso as the left handed half of a platoon with Pearce or maybe a full time DH if we have to move Pearce to first.

Archived