Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I might take McKinney by himself. Especially if budget becomes an issue with the O's in 2016. (Like it ever isn't)

What's the appeal of McKinney? High draft pick but really hasn't hit yet at any level. .766 in AA. I don't get it.

My trade target for Britton is AJ Reed.

Don't sound like one of these Cub fans. Britton will bring a HAUL. Not just a prospect or two.

I'm quite happy to be wrong on this one. I do worry about the potential glut of closers and closer-types that are being made available. I'm beginning to doubt that DD and Buck see Britton as a trade asset. I would very much like to be wrong about that as well.

What's the appeal of McKinney? High draft pick but really hasn't hit yet at any level. .766 in AA. I don't get it.

My trade target for Britton is AJ Reed.

Sounds like the next Markakis. I'd like to add in Happ and double down on OF.

12-14 years of cost controlled solid OF for a high priced closer? Yes, please.

He's left handed and gets on base. Power is generally one of the last tools to develop.

McKinney's OBP is .366 (.346 in AA). AJ Reed's is .415 (.405 in AA), also lefty. Reed's AA OPS is 200 points higher than MicKinney's. (Markakis' minors OBP was .380 with .856 OPS). I don't see what McKinney has done that he is getting mentioned on multiple threads as some hot prospect.

McKinney's OBP is .366 (.346 in AA). AJ Reed's is .415 (.405 in AA), also lefty. Reed's AA OPS is 200 points higher than MicKinney's. (Markakis' minors OBP was .380 with .856 OPS). I don't see what McKinney has done that he is getting mentioned on multiple threads as some hot prospect.

It's worth mentioning that McKinney is only 20. When Manny was called up from AA in his age 19 season, he was OPSing .789 in the Eastern League. At 20, McKinney put up a .285/.346/.420/.766 batting line in a Southern League where he was 4.1 years younger than the average player.

Baseball Prospectus and Baseball America both consider him a top 100 prospect (81st and 83rd respectively), but I'm not sure how they project him to develop.

And now to be my own devil's advocate... looking at his splits for the 2015 season is pretty disappointing:

vLHP (52 ABs) .192/.254/.250/.504

vRHP (222 ABs) .306/.368/.459/.828

His splits were much less pronounced in single-A, so it's clear it's something he's struggling to adjust to. All the same, I wouldn't want him to headline a deal for Britton.

Man, what am I doing typing all this up on a Saturday night, I need a beer.

I want O'day signed ASAP. Then that will give us Britton as a major trade chip at the winter meetings next week. Britton would be the best closer on the market. If I'm trading Britton this year, I want MLB ready players. I'm thinking to Houston for SP Vincent Velasquez, AJ Reed, Joe Musgrove. A haul.

MLBTR is predicting that O'Day could get a 3/36 deal. Do you want the O's to pay that much for him?

Absolutely not, that is just insane money for a set up relief pitcher. The crazy thing is, last year it was near unanimous that we could not spend those kinds of dollars on Miller. This year it is near unanimous that we should back the Brinks truck up to retain O'Day. The answer is no, even hell no. If we pay O'Day and/or CD the money that is being reported then our GM is far worse than I could have ever imagined.

Archived