Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

Yes. It would. Agents take everything there is. I.E. the Gausman negotiation. We don't need to know.

I agree here. No reason to let parties whom your tying to negotiate with, know what you have to work with just so the fans can have their anxieties alleviated :)

One of two things will happen. We will either spend more or not, once the dust settles we can either jump for joy or go ballistic depending on how it all plays out.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree here. No reason to let parties whom your tying to negotiate with, know what you have to work with just so the fans can have their anxieties alleviated :)

One of two things will happen. We will either spend more or not, once the dust settles we can either jump for joy or go ballistic depending on how it all plays out.

Spending more money is not beneficial in and of itself.

All things point to it... I just wish someone would come right out and say it. Would it really hurt to let Os fans know we're increasing payroll by 30% ??[/QUOT

I'd be very surprised if payroll went up by that much. I don't see how anyone can infer that from what has happened so far.

Well if the payroll does not go up then your not getting a SP of consequence and your not getting anyone of significance at most of the other positions where we have needs.

If that is the case, I would say that giving a reliever the kind of money that DD is giving O'Day is just goofy. I think a lot of people are just hoping that DD is competent and would not do this if he did not have the budget flexibility to get help at those other spots.

Not saying I agree with the logic, just saying I can see why some would guess that signing O'Day means the payroll is going up.

Honestly it could be just as likely that they have a deal to send Britton somewhere in a package ready to go and intend to make O'Day the closer? Its all guesswork from everyone at this point :)

Spending more money is not beneficial in and of itself.

It is when your farm system sucks and you have no ready to go prospects who can fill the multitude of holes we have.

It is when your best SP is a FA and your staff kinda sucked last year even with him.

At a minimum, in the position we are in, spending more means that DD has a fighting chance to assemble enough talent to remain competitive. If we don't spend, this team is sunk as it is currently constructed

According to Cot's our OD payroll has gone like this.

2012 84M

2013 92M

2014 107M

2015 118M

If you are the optimistic sort, you can hope/expect for a 130M payroll to start the season. Even with a 130M payroll there is not enough room to sign both a stud hitter and significant FA pitcher.

Yeah, I don't understand how people think this means anything except signing O'Day.

But if they SAY they will spend more money, and they don't spend ENOUGH. We can complain. Heck, we will any way.

This is also true.

Never should spend simply to meet some quota you stupidly put out to your fans.

Besides that you don't want a guy your negotiating with who knows you want their player to know how much you have to spend. Its just a stupid way to do business and DD is not stupid

It is when your farm system sucks and you have no ready to go prospects who can fill the multitude of holes we have.

It is when your best SP is a FA and your staff kinda sucked last year even with him.

At a minimum, in the position we are in, spending more means that DD has a fighting chance to assemble enough talent to remain competitive. If we don't spend, this team is sunk as it is currently constructed

But to his point, spending money is not beneficial in and of itself. We have spent a bunch of money so far, how many holes have we filled?

Agreed. There's simply too many needs and Duquette isn't that dumb to think he can hope to compete without a lefty power bat and a starting pitcher.

It's looking to me like the money spent on improving the rotation will be modest, and that most of the remaining dollars will go towards Davis, a Plan B slugger like Alvarez, and/or a corner OF upgrade.

But to his point' date=' spending money is not beneficial in and of itself. We have spent a bunch of money so far, how many holes have we filled?[/quote']

Of course you have to spend wisely.

Lets see what it all looks like when its done. Think that is only fair.

Replace the word "think" with the word....hope, you have a more accurate reflection of what people feel.

Even that doesn't make sense. You can hope Gausman learns to throwing a breaking ball, and there is some sense in that hope. But the idea that the O's are going to increase payroll to the needed level it would take to fill all the holes we still have, based on O'Day singing? That doesn't even seem like "hope." It seems like having 10 dollars to your name and buying lottery tickets in the "hope" that all your financial problems will now go away.

Even that doesn't make sense. You can hope Gausman learns to throwing a breaking ball' date=' and there is some sense in that hope. But the idea that the O's are going to increase payroll to the needed level it would take to fill all the holes we still have, based on O'Day singing? That doesn't even seem like "hope." It seems like having 10 dollars to your name and buying lottery tickets in the "hope" that all your financial problems will now go away.[/quote']

Ok so say they trade Britton for an OF? Then does having O'Day back as a closer make more sense to you?

Point is that there are scenarios where having DOD on this team, even at this price makes sense.

Why should fans not hope that this team is willing to spend enough to be competitive and fill as many holes as possible? You have as much idea as I do about how much they will spend. Your making as much an assumption as they are to be honest. Actually your making more of one, DD has publicly talked about doing things that cost money and have not happen to date. So either DD is completely full of crap or there are additional money costing moves that will need to be made. Considering where we are in terms of payroll, I would say any moves of significance put us solidly above last years payroll.

I get skepticism. I am still skeptical myself. Just saying I think your being pretty harsh not understanding how some might hope that DD will still do the things that he has said he would even though he chose to spend on DOD.

According to Cot's our OD payroll has gone like this.

2012 84M

2013 92M

2014 107M

2015 118M

If you are the optimistic sort, you can hope/expect for a 130M payroll to start the season. Even with a 130M payroll there is not enough room to sign both a stud hitter and significant FA pitcher. More likely, you are going to get an Alvarez for 5-8M on a one year contract and, at best, a Kazmir type. That would still leave holes in LF and RF but it looks like Nolan Reimold has a good chance to be one of those. That would still be a 130M team which is no better and quite possibly worse than the one that finished at .500 last year. A playoff run would still need a few of the following to happen.

1. Relatively good health

2. A breakout by Gausman

3. Return to form by at least one of Tillman and Gonzalez.

4. Rebound by Hardy

5. Nothing worse than what Ubaldo did this year.

This sounds close to right. The current payroll with O'Day would be about 111m if O'Day is paid 7.5m o 2016. He probably will not be. DD is likely to backload or defer salary this off season. O'Day, Alvarez on a three year contract and a SP for 4 years can all may be paid smaller amounts in 2016. Wieters, Trumbo and Matusz all have one year contracts that will be expirjng next off season. Also the O's may trade or move Britton to the rotation. If traded there could be a cheaper outfielder acquired.

The O's have been all about the payroll budget for years. Even if they up the budget to 130m next year they are likely to stay in budget in 2016 IMO.

Archived