Arrieta Posts

TonySoprano

I got over it the day he became a Cub. Seriously, I just don't feel like he was going to be that pitcher here. So honestly happy for him and happy where the Orioles are today.
Pretty much. And as for everyone else, they only have to the end of this season to complain about him because he will be a free agent, and any further success will not be on the Orioles' hands.

I don't like the Cubs, I never did. But any success he has with them their is fine for me. I liked Scott Feldman and knew we needed someone. Scott Feldman was a a Buck target.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Arrieta is pitching for a franchise that has not won a Pennant since 1945.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, I think that it sounds self-centered of him to be making statements to the press during the regular season about what it will take to retain his services before he at least helps them win the N.L. Pennant and make it to the World Series.

If it were the off-season, that would be different. It isn't the off-season.

Arrieta is pitching for a franchise that has not won a Pennant since 1945.

In my rat's ass of an opinion, I think that it sounds self-centered of him to be making statements to the press during the regular season about what it will take to retain his services before he at least helps them win the N.L. Pennant and make it to the World Series.

If it were the off-season, that would be different. It isn't the off-season.

On a similar note, I was also annoyed at Chris Davis for his "It's out of my hands" statement that he made just prior to him becoming eligible for free agency last year in regard to whether or not he would be returning to the Orioles.

If he wants/wanted to hold out for the highest bidder, fine. Just say so. Or at least say, "No comment" if asked about it. But to me, his statement was manipulative ...... I believe that he was acting like a child, as if he had no say in the matter. His agent works for him, not the other way around. Davis was acting as though he works for his agent.

o

This is an interview with Jake Arrieta from 2009, when he was with the AA-Baysox.

He spent the first 2 months of that season with AA-Bowie before being promoted to AAA-Norfolk for the final 3 months.

[video=youtube;-UrwnyUDJoE]

• 1 month later...
He is starting to break.

I liked Jake when he was here, and wanted him to succeed in Chicago, but I didn't want him to become the best pitcher in the entire league! So, if he tones it down a little, I'll be much happier.

I liked Jake when he was here, and wanted him to succeed in Chicago, but I didn't want him to become the best pitcher in the entire league! So, if he tones it down a little, I'll be much happier.

But now that we've signed Dietz, a TCU recruit from IL, will he stay quiet about the O's development plan? Granted, things have changed and he and Zach have discussed things but still - TCU????? :scratchchinhmm: :eektf: Dietz got a nice little bonus and Stotle likes him so all good right?

MLB Ranks

1.97ERA(2nd) 2.50FIP(5th) 3.12xFIP(7th) 3.0fWAR(5th) is starting to break? Yeah he hasn't been as spot on as last year, but he's still insanely good.

He's still been very good, but it's notable that Arrieta has only lasted 5 innings in 5 of his last 11 starts. Before that, he'd gone 24 starts in a row throwing 6+ innings.

His pitch counts get elevated since he is going after KOs.

I don't think that's accurate. He had 236 strikeouts last year and it didn't stop him from pitching 229 innings.

I'm also not sure there's a correlation between having a lot of strikeouts (or "going for strikeouts") and having escalated pitch counts.

I don't think that's accurate. He had 236 strikeouts last year and it didn't stop him from pitching 229 innings.

I'm also not sure there's a correlation between having a lot of strikeouts (or "going for strikeouts") and having escalated pitch counts.

Control issues. Maybe nothing.

Lets look at his last 4 games.

106 pitches, 5 Innings and 6 K

112 pitches, 6 Innings and 11 K

105 pitches, 7 innings and 3 K

108 pitches, 5 Innings and 12 K

Currently, he is at 98 innings and 107 Ks, which is in the same ball park for ratio.

If you look at last season, same pitch counts, but he went longer in his outings.

Lets look at his last 4 games.

106 pitches, 5 Innings and 6 K

112 pitches, 6 Innings and 11 K

105 pitches, 7 innings and 3 K

108 pitches, 5 Innings and 12 K

Currently, he is at 98 innings and 107 Ks, which is in the same ball park for ratio.

If you look at last season, same pitch counts, but he went longer in his outings.

Still not seeing a correlation.

Archived