Arrieta Posts

TonySoprano

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem with Arrieta wasn't the trade. It was Duquette's asinine approach to developing pitchers by eliminating some of their best pitches. This organization is so monolithic and one dimensional when it comes to starters. Duquette's banning cutters from minor leaguers. Buck's TTTP.

That said, Duquette's deadline trades always have been gross overpays. That's the problem. I do dig the Brach and Trumbo acquisitions.

Lately Arrieta has looked like his old self. So maybe Oriole pitching/development philosophy is not really to blame here. And I want Arrieta to start pitching well again; otherwise my fantasy team this year is screwed!

I believe that until he was broken down, given away, and sent to the minors... that he would not give up those other four pitches and concentrate on refining his big three. I believe that he needed to find his own bottom.[/quote

I just can't give the O's the benefit of the doubt here. They've ruined so many and have virtually no success stories aside from Tillman and Bedard. That's truly depressing.

I just can't give the O's the benefit of the doubt here. They've ruined so many and have virtually no success stories aside from Tillman and Bedard. That's truly depressing.

I'm not propping up the Orioles at all. Just tearing down Jake as an Oriole. I lived through his lack of willingness to change.

At the time' date=' did anyone really think the trade was a bad one? I think people were calling for Arrieta and Strop to be DFA at the time.[/quote']

Yes, I did. Jake wasn't out of options, he could have been sent down to the minors. The patience with Ubaldo seems infinite. Jake was young, had great stuff and was better than Ubaldo has been for us. We could have sent Jake down or we could have him pitch in low leverage situations from the pen. A GM has got to be held responsible for that kind of decision.

Yes, I did. Jake wasn't out of options, he could have been sent down to the minors. The patience with Ubaldo seems infinite. Jake was young, had great stuff and was better than Ubaldo has been for us. We could have sent Jake down or we could have him pitch in low leverage situations from the pen. A GM has got to be held responsible for that kind of decision.

If we could get a Feldman (or anything) for Ubaldo...he'd be gone.

Jake was actually in the minors when we traded him. He had four starts in April, got sent down, got called up for one start on June 17, and was sent down again. He had two good AAA starts right before the trade, though he had been very inconsistent even in AAA in 2013 (4.78 ERA even with those two starts).

Jake had 132 starts in the O's organization, spread over five and a half years. In 63 major league starts he had a 5.43 ERA for the O's. His MLB ERA in Baltimore, in consecutive years, was 4.66, 5.05, 6.20, and 7.23. He had a 4.41 ERA in an extreme pitchers park in 50 innings in AAA in 2013. And they already had one unpitchable reliever who was reserved for low-leverage mopup situations in Pedro Strop.

And at the same time the Orioles were in a pennant race, in need of a starter or two. If you go back and look at early-to-mid 2013 there were many posts calling for the release of Arrieta, and then expressing surprise that Duquette got anything back at all.

It was a Forty Man Issue at the time more than a Twenty-Five man issue, the option was worthless.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Funny thing: Arrieta (who starts Tuesday night) has 4.81 ERA in last 7 starts despite 46 Ks in 39 1/3 IP. OBA is up to .256 from .161.</p>— Phil Rogers (@philgrogers) <a href="

">July 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived