Now at #4 in the Nation

murph

Just got a message from Team Stream that Villanova is #1 in AP. I mean really, a bunch of monkeys with typewriters could fill out these lists for the most part. So the top 2 teams lost? F it, put the #3 team in 1st. *Shrug* Kinda remind me of "Power rankings" in football.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14740773/villanova-no-1-associated-press-men-college-basketball-poll-first

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got a message from Team Stream that Villanova is #1 in AP. I mean really, a bunch of monkeys with typewriters could fill out these lists for the most part. So the top 2 teams lost? F it, put the #3 team in 1st. *Shrug* Kinda remind me of "Power rankings" in football.

Makes no sense at all that Villanova is #1. They should have just kept Oklahoma at 1 - they beat Villanova by 23 on a neutral court.

Makes no sense at all that Villanova is #1. They should have just kept Oklahoma at 1 - they beat Villanova by 23 on a neutral court.

Really? Yea, the rankings really aren't done well, but still would like to see MD #1 just once. Hope the long stretch off this week doesn't kill any of our momentum.

Edit: they do not have off at all this week I completely misread the schedule. Doh!

Two more examples today of how college teams lose on the road no matter how good they are. Both #1 and #2 lose on the road to teams not in the top 25, borderline tourney teams. UNC was up 20 in the first half and still lost.

MD is a good team that just won 4 tough games in 10 days. We need to appreciate what we are seeing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone doesn't appreciate what we're seeing, but it doesn't make any of the observations any less valid. The Purdue game was the most complete game of the year for this squad in my mind. The lack of turnovers were a big difference and I'm hoping that will continue. Trimble, despite his shooting woes, actually had a nice game by just not turning the ball over. He was actually under control all game, even though he couldn't hit water falling out of the boat from the field.

I'll say what I've been saying all along, this team could be a final four team or could get knocked out before the Sweet 16. It just depends on what team shows up.

From a national voter's perspective, I think it's perfectly reasonable that Villanova is #1, and that they leapfrogged MD in the Coaches Poll. The two teams are/were extremely close... and Villanova lead by double-digits the whole way against the #11 team on the road this week while MD pulled away at the end against the #18 team at home.

What'll be harder to take is that if Villanova loses this week, and MD goes 2-0 (home vs. Bowie State and Wisconsin), MD probably still won't be #1. If Oklahoma (@ home vs. #24 Texas & #6 Kansas) goes 2-0, they'll leapfrog MD. If Iowa goes 2-0 to go to 12-1 in the Big Ten (@ Indiana and home vs Minnesota), they might leapfrog MD. If Kansas goes 2-0 this week (home vs. #10 WVU and @ #3 Oklahoma), they might leapfrog MD.

This is the 24th week in school history that MD has been ranked #2 in the AP Poll. They've never been ranked #1. Next highest on that list is Purdue at ten times. Villanova had been ranked #2 seven times without ever being ranked #1 before this week.

Why no Bowie State game Thread? :D. Glad we destroyed them. Doubt and has little effect on our rankings.

On a sidenote how in the world did Checko end up with 14 points? Hopefully somebody got under his skin and he will recover from his recent poor play.

Why no Bowie State game Thread? :D. Glad we destroyed them. Doubt and has little effect on our rankings.

On a sidenote how in the world did Checko end up with 14 points? Hopefully somebody got under his skin and he will recover from his recent poor play.

Well when you're a foot taller than everybody else... :D

He actually got to the line a lot and made his FT's too. There were a ton of fouls called.

I turned the game on with like 15 and a half to go in the first half and Maryland was already in the bonus.

On a sidenote how in the world did Checko end up with 14 points?

He got playing time. And quality of competition. Actually, he does have a bit of skill to go with his size, he just doesn't play enough to really do much normally. Seems like most games he comes in, gets abused on defense for a play and back to the bench. He'll be important next year with no Stone or Carter.

He got playing time. And quality of competition. Actually, he does have a bit of skill to go with his size, he just doesn't play enough to really do much normally. Seems like most games he comes in, gets abused on defense for a play and back to the bench. He'll be important next year with no Stone or Carter.

Yeah, he's a 7'1 kid who's actually a pretty talented offensive player. He might get a chance to show it next season.

Yea I was more hopeful for him improving this year, but he was just awful against Purdue. Glad he showed some improvement from that game even against a lesser opponent. Your right, we will need him and his size next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, since I started this thread the Terps have dropped 10 spots in the AP poll. Whoops.

Hopefully they can find themselves starting tomorrow and finish strong. Will be cheering for them either way.

Archived