Just go trade for Jay Bruce or Markakis

oriolesacox

At the end of the day Nick decided to go to Atlanta but he still lives here. If he wanted out bad enough maybe he could go to the Atlanta FO and tell them he would be willing to pull a Davis and defer some of his money to comeback. Other than "veteran presence", Nick makes no sense to that team at all. He would save them money in the process. I am not trying to be naive here just thinking out loud.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No to Markakis. That ship has sailed. I would like to have him as a leadoff guy, but isn't that what Kim is for? His career OBP is amazing.

If you had to bet on who will have the higher OBP this year, would you bet on Kim or Markakis? My money would be on Nick. There's a reason Kim only cost 2/$7 mm even though any of 30 teams could have signed him -- there's a substantial risk that he's simply not able to handle major league pitching at all. I was in favor of taking the gamble, but that's what it is, a gamble.

If you had to bet on who will have the higher OBP this year, would you bet on Kim or Markakis? My money would be on Nick. There's a reason Kim only cost 2/$7 mm even though any of 30 teams could have signed him -- there's a substantial risk that he's simply not able to handle major league pitching at all. I was in favor of taking the gamble, but that's what it is, a gamble.

It would be a mistake to believe that 3/$33 million for Nick Markakis is not a gamble, IMO.

Maybe if he didn't have 3 contact years left, wasn't regressing due to agree and/or injury, and we had to give no players to get him back... I'd be for it. With those things looking unfavorable right now... have to say PASS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Nick fan... he just probably isn't the right fit now.

I would take on his salary in a straight salary dump situation. Wouldn't trade anything of value for him. His OBP would be nice to have in the lineup. Yes, we have Kim, but we don't know for sure what he's going to be, and you can never have too much OBP.

I would love to have Nick back. Love it. So, as per the usual I am 180 degree's out with the majority of the O/H. Get solid defense in RF and a lead off hitter. The salary is reasonable. I would send them a minor leaguer or two, not anybody at the top of our system, and take his entire contract. Then, I would get a reclaimation SP like Latos, Floyd, Lee or ???. Then call it good and head to ST.

I would love to have Nick back. Love it. So, as per the usual I am 180 degree's out with the majority of the O/H. Get solid defense in RF and a lead off hitter. The salary is reasonable. I would send them a minor leaguer or two, not anybody at the top of our system, and take his entire contract. Then, I would get a reclaimation SP like Latos, Floyd, Lee or ???. Then call it good and head to ST.

Markakis is not a good defender.

Count me in the camp that would like Nick a lot for a salary dump kind of situation. He still gets on base, and he still hits a ton of doubles. His salary is reasonable for what you get.

None of this matters obviously unless we also get some pitching. So if nick's $11mil would preclude us from doing that, then pass.

I would take on his salary in a straight salary dump situation. Wouldn't trade anything of value for him. His OBP would be nice to have in the lineup. Yes, we have Kim, but we don't know for sure what he's going to be, and you can never have too much OBP.

You can if the OBP comes packaged with poor defense and little power and speed.

Archived