Trade chance? Gerrit Cole and Pirates fight over salary

JLee2027

Pittsburgh Pirates general manager Neal Huntington on Sunday acknowledged the team erroneously computed Gerrit Cole's salary offer for 2016, which led to a public spat with their ace pitcher.

The team (eventually) raised Cole's salary to $541,000. When Cole asked for a larger increase ? something that would put him over his 2015 earnings total ? the Pirates refused to budge.

"They even threatened a salary reduction to the league minimum if I did not agree," Cole told the Tribune-Review.

Cole grudgingly signed the contract for $541,000, then told the Tribune-Review about his situation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pirates-made-mistake-salary-offer-ace-cole-005112672--spt.html

Pittsburgh Pirates general manager Neal Huntington on Sunday acknowledged the team erroneously computed Gerrit Cole's salary offer for 2016, which led to a public spat with their ace pitcher.

The team (eventually) raised Cole's salary to $541,000. When Cole asked for a larger increase ? something that would put him over his 2015 earnings total ? the Pirates refused to budge.

"They even threatened a salary reduction to the league minimum if I did not agree," Cole told the Tribune-Review.

Cole grudgingly signed the contract for $541,000, then told the Tribune-Review about his situation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pirates-made-mistake-salary-offer-ace-cole-005112672--spt.html

Probably not until he hits arbitration -- Baltimore couldn't land Cole right now without moving Machado.

From Neil Huntington:

"We'll evolve," Huntington said. "Our hope is that Gerrit is ready to move forward, put this behind him and recognize that the better year he has, the better year we have, it's good for all."

Evolution can be a tricky thing especially when it comes to MLB ownership and upper management. After all, where to establish the baseline? Homo erectus is a safe starting point, but after that we can only hope that MLB has a primatologist on staff, especially with a new CBA to be negotiated at year's end.

You guys are right, the only chance is if Gerrit Cole says trade me now. Sounds like the Pirates have blown it with him. Message board chatter says as soon as he can, he's out of Pittsburgh.

Poor Pirates. They haven't won the World Series since those future druggies did it in 1979. Wouldn't surprise me if they were doing coke in that World Series either. Short term boost, long term crash, that's what I hear.

You guys are right, the only chance is if Gerrit Cole says trade me now. Sounds like the Pirates have blown it with him. Message board chatter says as soon as he can, he's out of Pittsburgh.

Poor Pirates. They haven't won the World Series since those future druggies did it in 1979. Wouldn't surprise me if they were doing coke in that World Series either. Short term boost, long term crash, that's what I hear.

Even if he did the O's couldn't come close to matching some of the offers they would get.

If we move Gausman or a few bullpen prices like Britton, yeah. Will we? No

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

Like a four way trade?

O's send Gausman to the Pirates, Britton to the Cubs and Givens to the Marlins, Pirates send Cole to the O's, Cubs and Marlins send prospects to the Pirates?

I think it would be a lot easier for the Pirates to make a deal with one team.

Like a four way trade?

O's send Gausman to the Pirates, Britton to the Cubs and Givens to the Marlins, Pirates send Cole to the O's, Cubs and Marlins send prospects to the Pirates?

I think it would be a lot easier for the Pirates to make a deal with one team.

I don't think we'd do that. Maybe guys like Weiters would go, especially at the deadline.

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

Archived