Should Schoop be quietly shopped for a SP?

ADZ23

Now to the premise of finding starting pitching without trading Schoop, it might be a sink or swim with what we have internally situation and hope we get lucky with somebody. Next year, they absolutely cannot address the starting pitching like they did this year.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now to the premise of finding starting pitching without trading Schoop, it might be a sink or swim with what we have internally situation and hope we get lucky with somebody. Next year, they absolutely cannot address the starting pitching like they did this year.

Britton is screaming to be traded (not literally). But the fact that he is a premier closer with an escalating salary (and fairly replaceable) should make him a prime trade candidate. Backend bullpen arms are an area of strength for us (O'Day, Givens, potentially Drake and Wright). Always good to trade from a position of strength.

I think he will be close to AS caliber at some point in his career if not this year.

But his bat is redundant in this lineup. His defense (and power?) can be somewhat replicated by Flaherty.

What say you.... :scratchchinhmm:

Absolutely not.

I love Schoop but in a strategy sense it would make sense to deal from a strength to address a weakness.

Schoop is very valuable. He's got an All-Star ceiling, is already a MLB quality player, and most importantly is cost-controlled through 2019. Unless they're rebuilding (which we know they're not), to trade him you'd need to get back a SP with some similar characteristics.

Britton is screaming to be traded (not literally). But the fact that he is a premier closer with an escalating salary (and fairly replaceable) should make him a prime trade candidate. Backend bullpen arms are an area of strength for us (O'Day, Givens, potentially Drake and Wright). Always good to trade from a position of strength.

I think Mike Wright or Drake would be the ones to go over Britton.

I meant as trade candidates.

Wright and Wilson together would not bring back 20% of what Britton would. Britton is a bona fide trade chip of the highest order. Wright and Wilson, might be one day if they realize their potential. But today, they are spare parts of any trade.

My idea would be to do everything we can to win in the next two years. After that, trade everyone we have that can bring quality prospects back. Gausman, Machado, Schoop, Bundy, AJ, Crush(eating salary to get better prospects since the new payroll will be $0), anyone we have worth anything. Complete fire sale/rebuild. It will hurt like hell, but could put us in a position to be relevant for a long time.

I am not as emotionally invested in the name on the back of the jersey as I am in winning long term. Giancarlo Stanton is a stud and doesn't mean squat on the Marlins. Having a guy like Manny doesn't mean anything on a 65 win team 3 years from now. Unless something changes and we get some surprises from our mediocre minor league depth.

Short answer, no, I would wait to trade Schoop.

I think he will be close to AS caliber at some point in his career if not this year.

But his bat is redundant in this lineup. His defense (and power?) can be somewhat replicated by Flaherty.

What say you.... :scratchchinhmm:

No. Not at all. IMO

I think the few trade chips we have are bullpen pieces like Britton, Brach, Drake, Givens (as much as I'd hate seeing him go) and someone like Walker. That's it. The rest are either off the table or not good enough to get anything of value for.

Archived