Why did the Orioles like Gallardo at 88 MPH, but didn't like Gonzalez at 88?

Hallas

Is this strictly due to the fact that they had an out with Gonzalez, but they didn't with Gallardo?

Unless Gallardo is still working on his arm strength, I'm very concerned about his ability to get through the season with the stuff he's carrying... I gave him a pass during spring training because, well, I didn't see the games, and because it's spring. But it's now the start of the season, and he should have had a chance to work through his problems.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The velocity of their fastball is certainly the same, but nothing else appears to be. Gallardo can throw that slider in any count for a good strike and the fastball has enough finish to get off the good part of the bat. Gallardo appears to be able to throw in 3 different speed zones and use those pitches in any count. It also appears that everything must be coming out of the same release location / arm angle because I see no sign that the hitters can pick up the offspeed stuff early.

I'm not saying he can thrive long term at 88, but I enjoyed watching Gallardo pitch tonight. His stuff is several steps better than what I saw from Gonzalez in ST or late last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gallardo has not been getting hammered for the last year either.

Is this strictly due to the fact that they had an out with Gonzalez, but they didn't with Gallardo?

Unless Gallardo is still working on his arm strength, I'm very concerned about his ability to get through the season with the stuff he's carrying... I gave him a pass during spring training because, well, I didn't see the games, and because it's spring. But it's now the start of the season, and he should have had a chance to work through his problems.

Started throwing four weeks ago.

The velocity of their fastball is certainly the same, but nothing else appears to be. Gallardo can throw that slider in any count for a good strike and the fastball has enough finish to get off the good part of the bat. Gallardo appears to be able to throw in 3 different speed zones and use those pitches in any count. It also appears that everything must be coming out of the same release location / arm angle because I see no sign that the hitters can pick up the offspeed stuff early.

I'm not saying he can thrive long term at 88, but I enjoyed watching Gallardo pitch tonight. His stuff is several steps better than what I saw from Gonzalez in ST or late last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nailed it.

Gallardo has not been getting hammered for the last year either.

Last year Gallardo threw about 90-91. Which is slow for him, but still faster than he did today. That's why I was concerned with seeing 88 today.

Gallardo looked okay today but he is not Mark Beuhrle.

That fastball needs to get up to 89-91 IMO or he is not going to be a productive starter for us over a full season. Hopefully he is still building arm strength and that velocity will come back some. 86-88 with spotty control is not going to cut it.

I'm not sure why Twins hitters weren't sitting on that slider more often. He was throwing it so much and it seemed to be hanging in the middle of the plate frequently.

Archived