vs. WHITE SOX, 4/28

Sessh

o

The Phillies swept the Nationals in Washington.

They shut them out in back-to-back games, last night and tonight.

The Nationals' offense has not scored a run in 23 innings, since the bottom of the 5th inning on Tuesday night.

I would rather be the slumping 14-7 Nats than the hopeless 4-17 Braves.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Or the Williams sisters, but I doubt he'd mention girls.  
    • Possible? Sure. Yet, I'd be surprised by any trades in the divisions, unless it was considered a minor one.  I doubt Elias would want to see any of his prospects helping an AL East rival when he can get similar players elsewhere.
    • Tiger Woods, of course, standing as an excellent example of a guy who was precociously skilled at a sport at a very young age (because his dad made him play) but never quite got there as a pro. There’s some merit to what you’re referencing here. I would absolutely buy that his lifelong exposure to baseball is a significant factor in his success at a young age. But I think that type of thing is far more applicable when evaluating youth or high school, maybe college level players. At lower levels and younger ages, I suspect extreme advantages in experience, practice time, and hands-on coaching can absolutely give a less talented kid a leg up. However, I think there’s a ceiling for how far a ho-hum kid can go on the back of force-fed baseball obsession — and I’m pretty sure that ceiling is a lot lower than “excellent hitter at AAA at age 20.“ I think you have to have the goods to reach that level, no matter how much baseball your daddy exposed you to as a kid. Ceiling-wise, as I’ve said, I do think he’s probably lower than some of these absolute tool demons like Gunnar and Witt and Acuna. I would not trade Gunnar for him, for example. But lots of these guys I’ve compared him to as 2Bs (Cano, Utley, Altuve, Pedroia, Kinsler) were not super tooled-up guys, and they’re all among the 25-50 most valuable players of the last 25 years or so. I don’t know that you have to be a Greek god to be a perennial All-Star type player, at least at that particular position.  
    • Why do you want to elevate the opposing pitcher's pitch count?
    • I really hope that doesn't happen. Hyde said that the 6-man rotation was not going to be a permanent thing, nor should it with our schedule and our bullpen situation. The pen needs a long man. Suarez is a maybe to complete five innings. Suarez should be in the pen, not starting at Yankee Stadium.
    • If a team is not getting walks, they aren't elevating the opponent pitcher's pitch count. They are also having quicker innings and taxing their own pitchers.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now