If we draft Hosmer, will he become another Rowell/Snyder?

highly regarded high school bat who can't hit at the professional level?

First of all, we'd have to deal with Bore-Ass, his advisor. That means whoever signs him will have to fork over a cool 5-6 million $. And where's the guarantee he can hit real pitching? We took the BEST high school hitters in each of the past two drafts and what are they doing?

Snyder is hitting .230 with no home runs, tons of strikeouts in the low minors. Rowell (who granted was hurt) is 1 for his last 14 with 9 K's.

What if we draft Hosmer, blow $6million, and end up with another over-hyped, overrated guy who can't hit?

First of all, we'd have to deal with Bore-Ass, his advisor. That means whoever signs him will have to fork over a cool 5-6 million $. And where's the guarantee he can hit real pitching? We took the BEST high school hitters in each of the past two drafts and what are they doing?

Snyder is hitting .230 with no home runs, tons of strikeouts in the low minors. Rowell (who granted was hurt) is 1 for his last 14 with 9 K's.

What if we draft Hosmer, blow $6million, and end up with another over-hyped, overrated guy who can't hit?

As a general point, I think giving any HS 1b $5mio doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Even great defense there isn't that valuable, so you are essentially paying $5mio for the bat. Hosemer's bat is legit, but whether that ultimately means 20 HR or 35 HR at the ML-level is anyone's guess.

The answer is YES. And if we don't draft him he'll become the next Prince Fielder. (not a great comp. but you get the picture)

The answer is YES. And if we don't draft him he'll become the next Prince Fielder. (not a great comp. but you get the picture)

if we draft him he becomes a .200 hitting strikeout machine, and if someone else drafts him he becomes the next Prince Fielder?

in other words, the O's are simply cursed when it comes to the draft...

BINGO: NOBODY was saying the things about Rowell and Snyder that they are saying about Hosmer. The best said about the former 2 is that they were the best in the draft, for Hosmer there saying he might be the best H.S. hitter in a decade.

Don't get me wrong- I like Hosmer and I'd think about drafting him depending on who's available and cost considerations.

Just pointing out we have an AWFUL track record when it comes to drafting high school hitters.

about Hosmer, ESPN Keith Law says

Hosmer has incredible bat speed, plus-plus raw power and good athleticism for a corner player; he's above-average defensively at first with an above-average arm, and might be able to slide to right field for a team already locked in at first base. Hosmer gets his hands into great position to offer both contact and power, gets his arms extended on anything that's not in on his hands and accelerates his wrists from his loaded position get the bat to the ball extremely quickly.

He goes on to report a 7mil opening demand. That will likely translate lower and I expect our Weiters signing established a working relationship with Boras but it's hard feeling comfortable about these figures for HS kids as we can't project based on success with such a young peer group. That said, yeah, lets go after him. How we spend on the draft will give an insight into McPhail's thinking, which I'm willing to admit, we might not like as I recall hearing he wasn't entirely on board with the figures in the Weiters signing.

Considering that Rowell is still only 19 and has been hurt a good part of his professional career, can you wait a couple years before you throw him in the trash heap?

Now, I do agree with you that Hosmer looks like one of those "damn if you do, damn if you don't" players. But if the O's don't take Hosmer, I hope they take a hitter. Our minor league pitching looks OK for right now, but we are sorely lacking with the bats.

BINGO: NOBODY was saying the things about Rowell and Snyder that they are saying about Hosmer. The best said about the former 2 is that they were the best in the draft, for Hosmer there saying he might be the best H.S. hitter in a decade.

I also don't believe that either Rowell or Snyder were dubbed the best High School bats in their classes.

Rowell was considered to be one of if not the best with Travis Snider, and Chris Marrero also getting a lot of consideration for the best bat.

Snyder(who I felt at the time and still do was an overdraft because we had our sights set on Bruce) not only wasn't the best, it could be argued that he wasn't even considered one of the top 5. I remember at the time of the draft he was considered to be a late 1st rounder possicble supplemental 1st rounder. Justin Upton was the clear top H.S. bat with Maybin, Bruce McCutchen and I believe Rasmus all rated higher.

I also don't believe that either Rowell or Snyder were dubbed the best High School bats in their classes.

Rowell was considered to be one of if not the best with Travis Snider, and Chris Marrero also getting a lot of consideration for the best bat.

Snyder(who I felt at the time and still do was an overdraft because we had our sights set on Bruce) not only wasn't the best, it could be argued that he wasn't even considered one of the top 5. I remember at the time of the draft he was considered to be a late 1st rounder possicble supplemental 1st rounder. Justin Upton was the clear top H.S. bat with Maybin, Bruce McCutchen and I believe Rasmus all rated higher.

Hey, I wasn't saying they were the best H.s. bat in the draft, I said the best that could be said about them (at the time). MY POINT is that Hosmer is viewed as in a different league altogether than those 2. You are correct about snyder, but Marrero slid due to an uneven senior year.

Hey, I wasn't saying they were the best H.s. bat in the draft, I said the best that could be said about them (at the time). MY POINT is that Hosmer is viewed as in a different league altogether than those 2. You are correct about snyder, but Marrero slid due to an uneven senior year.

Ok my bad. I agree though, it seems that the hype surrounding Hosmer's bat is pretty high.

Greg, Stotle or anyone else, who in the last few years would Hosmer compare to coming out of High School.

I don't mean who does he project to be similar to, but who does he resemble a lot in the way of talent and hype as he is wrapping up his senior year?

He is much better defensively than Butler, but doesn't play a "premium postition" like the Uptons or even the OF class of '05.

Maybe Smoak when he was a senior?

Archived