The Rockies series, July 25-27

Frobby

I think tonight is the most favorable pitching matchup for us of the three games, though the Rockies have won 7 of Bettis' last 8 starts.

I like Tillman to continue his hot streak. As a team the Rockies bat .239 on the road vs .301 at home and Tilly has been really good of late.

The series is now up for grabs in tonight's rubber match. I think it's a fascinating pitching matchup. Bundy was the no. 4 overall pick in the 2011 draft, while Jon Gray was the no. 3 overall pick in the 2013 draft. Just looking at what he's done, I think Gray is a rising young star, whose effectiveness is a little masked by the fact that he had a slow start to his year and that he pitches half his games in Coors. He has a 2.93 ERA over his last 11 starts, 5 of which were at Coors. The way our bats have been struggling, runs will be tough to come by tonight for the O's. Let's hope Bundy and the bullpen are up to the challenge.

By the way, Gray has had a very smooth and accelerated flight path from the time he was drafted until reaching the majors.

2013: after being drafted, he got 4 starts in rookie ball and 5 in high A.

2014: spent his entire first full year in the minors in AA.

2015: pitched 21 games (20 starts) in AAA, then got called to the majors and made 9 starts.

2016: after a very brief DL stint, has started 17 games for the Rockies.

Compare that to the experience of Bundy or Gausman.

Archived