Rick Dempsey: Orioles Should 'Go For It' As Trade Deadline Approaches

PressBoxOnline

Getting Sale would give us a good shot at the WS. A rotation of Sale, Tillman, Gausman, and Gallardo would be more than solid with our offense and pen. And yes, our prospects aren't all that good, without augmenting from FA we wont have an opportunity like this again for some time to come.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, but just wanted to make the general statement that sometimes what is overlooked is even if you acquire a star at steep price, you can always trade in a year or 2 and replenish. Doesn't even need to be a star. Some GMs are already catching on and operating this way.

Preller traded for Pomeranz, got 3 great months and turned it into a top prospect. He also got more return for kimbrel to Boston than he gave up in deal to Atlanta.

Cashman did pretty well with chapman too. They got more from Cubs deal than what they gave up in trade with Cincinnati.

The trade deadline is always more of a massive overpay than the offseason. It's almost true of any sport. I think GMs are catching on, making trades in offseason and then flipping for a higher return during crazy, desperate buyers trade deadline period.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it's saying trading top prospects for Sale will make a serious difference. Getting Sale would give us a good shot at the WS. A rotation of Sale, Tillman, Gausman, and Gallardo would be more than solid with our offense and pen. And yes, our prospects aren't all that good, without augmenting from FA we wont have an opportunity like this again for some time to come. It's hardly nihilism.

Okay, I think we found the point of disagreement. Of course you think the people who are against a deadline deal are morons if you think the choice is between acquiring Sale or keeping our "top" prospects. You're right, that is a ridiculous position to take, but it's not anyone on the board has taken.

The Orioles do not have the pieces to get Sale. Sale has been a top-five pitcher in all of baseball over the past five years. The Red Sox just gave up a top-20 prospect for Drew Pomeranz, who has a career 5.4 fWAR. Not only is Sale considerably more valuable than Pomeranz, but its unclear how motivated the White Sox even are with trading him. Plus the Orioles do not have any top-20 prospects, let alone top-50 prospects. We've got Chance Sisco and some change. Sisco/Mancini isn't going to do it. Sisco/Mancini/Bundy in all likelhood isn't going to do it. You're probably looking at Schoop/Bundy/Sisco/Mancini if you want Sale. and that may not even be enough. Is that a deal you're comfortable with?

Call me an idiot if you like but I agree with Dempsey.

You play every year like it is your last. Baseball has the draft, free agency, and trades. And thousands of players that are good enough to play at on this stage.

Who cares about next year. Just win, baby//////////////

Okay then, who would you propose the O's give up then? You create threads devoted to how bad the farm system is with no prospects available, so I think it's reasonable to ask how are you going to pull off that deal without giving up starters from the roster and yet, miraculously, make the WS? You're banging your fist on the table with no suggestions, just shooting everyone down with half-baked reasoning. Give us some meat.

Schoop, Kim, Trumbo, Wieters - does including any or combo of those guys make the team better on top of mortgaging your future?

It's interesting to see the lack of patience for a fan base that has had the privilege of witnessing sustained winning since 2012. The prevalent mood on this thread is to be damned with anything else and to charge ahead this year or bust for the WS. I'm not sure what's driving this other than over-eager millenials who never learned the virtues of patience much less even knowing what the word means. Instant gratification rules the day.

Read. I've already said who I'd offer

Archived