Padres asked for Garrett Cleavinger and Jhon Peluffo in Jimenez/Upton deal

xian4

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So to summarize the Jay's offer vs. the O's offer for Melvin is that the Padres are/would have saved appx. 5 million on both but would have garnered 3 players from the O's vs. the 1 A ball player from the Jay's.

Comparing Garrett Cleavinger to Hansel Rodriguez alone based on stats in 2015 & 2016. I agree with the Peter. I would not have done this deal either. Even Jhon Peluffo who is the same age as Hansel has better career stats in rookie ball.

It wasn't 3 players. They didn't want Jiminez. They would have gave us many millions of dollars to keep Jiminez and leave him out of the deal.

I believe the point is do you overpay the Padres with good prospects just to rid the roster of Ubaldo? When we already complain about our farm system.

Well money is worth something. So giving up a couple of low level prospects to save 15 million dollars is worth it.

I make that deal as well. Just to get Ubaldo off my team

That's ridiculous. You give up good prospects just so Ubaldo is off the team? I

have never seen such hatred for a player before. What the O's get in return isn't

all that good.

have never seen such hatred for a player before. What the O's get in return isn't

all that good.

Ubaldo is arguably the worst player in the American League this year. I don't hate him he is just really, really, really bad.

all that good.

I have to agree. Giving up what seems like two potentially decent prospects just to cut payroll is bad business. As someone already said above, Jimenez is a sunk cause. Time to just fess up and eat the salary as a cost of business. I'm glad they didn't go for that deal, as much as having Upton out in RF would have been nice.

Well money is worth something. So giving up a couple of low level prospects to save 15 million dollars is worth it.

Let me restate: In both scenarios the Padres would have saved appx. 5 million so the money for the Padres would have been a wash. The O's would have sent 3 players to the Padres vs. the 1 player the Jay's sent. Here is the Kicker both of the players the O's would have sent are performing better than the player the Jay's sent. So I am not sure what you are debating for?

Trading potentially valuable assets to get rid of bad contracts is generally bad business.

I liked Melvin Upton as a possible RF option for 2017 with Trumbo likely gone and a weak free agent class.

I agree, no loss here. For me, giving away anything of value to dump Ubaldo's $$ isn't a good plan. Glad we passed on it.

Ubaldo is arguably the worst player in the American League this year. I don't hate him he is just really, really, really bad.

Well just DFA him. Don't give up 2 decent prospects for him just to get him off the team.

Just shows how much negative value Ubaldo has.

Even a rebuilding team who is rumored to be trading starting pitching doesn't want him to soak up innings.

You could end the thread right here. The Padres are eating all but $5 million from the remainder of Upton's contract. They actually would have ended up saving money by trading him for Ubaldo. Plus it seems like Peluffo is a pretty comparable prospect to the pitching prospect they picked up from the Blue Jays. But the problem is Ubaldo is so bad that the Padres (rightly) believe that he would end up providing less value than getting no ML players back in return. So they wanted Cleavinger thrown into the deal to make up for the negative WAR provided by Ubaldo.

I have both in my top 10. Peluffo at 7 and Cleavinger at 9. Lefties that throw in the mid-90's don't grown on trees and either do 19 year olds sporting a 7 to 1 k to walk ratio.

There are a lot more lefties throwing in the mid-90s today than there were seven years ago. Heck, I just hung out with a scout that spent two weeks on the Cape and he said it seems like the entire league is now throwing in the low- to mid-90s.

I'm indifferent about not making that particular deal, but if anything is coming back that will be a legit help to making the playoffs and winning right now, both of those arms would absolutely be available if it's my call.

Archived