Official Orioles Draft Pick Thread

markpolis

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's Crancer's profile from Georgia Tech:

Spent two years at Georgia Tech after playing two years at Riverside (Calif.) Community College ... A power hitting corner outfielder with a very good throwing arm ... Earned a starting position in the outfield early in his first season on the Flats after beginning his career at Tech as the starting designated hitter ... Split time in right field and as the DH his senior year.

2007: One of two co-captains on the team ... Finished the year second on the team in average and RBI and third in slugging percentage, on base percentage, hits, home runs and total bases ... Primarily hit in the cleanup spot in the lineup ... Hit safely in 41 games on the year while posting 26 multi-hit (including 10 of the last 13) and 13 multi-RBI games ... Finished the year with a .469 average in his last 16 games ... Went 3-for-8 with a home run in the season opening series at Georgia Southern (2/10-2/11) ... Had three hits, including a home run, two runs and two RBI against Illinois-Chicago (2/18) ... Went 7-for-11 with three doubles, two home runs and eight RBI in the series against Duquesne (2/23-2/25) ... Also had a 1.455 slugging percentage and a .733 on base percentage against the Dukes ... Had one of Tech's two hits and reached base twice in an exhibition game against the Atlanta Braves ... Went 3-for-6 with an RBI and two runs scored in Tech's 18-12 win over Rutgers (3/2) ... Posted a career-high four hits and drove in three runs in the second game against the Scarlet Knights (3/3) ... Had five hits, two walks, two runs and an RBI against Boston College (3/16-3/18) ... Collected three hits and had two runs and two RBI in Tech's 16-6 win over Maryland (3/31) ... Hit .417 with two doubles and five RBI against NC State (4/20-4/22) ... Went 6-for-11 with three RBI against Clemson (4/27-4/29) ... Hit .467 with a double and six RBI in the series at USF (5/5-5/7) ... Went 7-for-13 against N. 4 North Carolina (5/11-5/13) ... Had four hits, including a home run, and drove in four runs in the middle game of the series against the `Heels ... Had two hits, including a two-run HR, vs. No. 3 Florida State (5/17) ... Tied the ACC Tournament game against UNC with a bases-loaded single in the seventh inning ... Went 2-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored in that game.

2006: Hit .321 with 6 home runs and 30 RBI for the season ... Moved into a regular starting outfielder's role with the injury to Danny Payne and started the last 21 games of the season ... Started nine games in left field before moving to right field for the last 15 games of the season ... Went 3-for-5 with a home run at N.C. State (3/18) ... Also went 3-for-5 with a home run in a win over Western Carolina (3/29) ... Was 3-for-9 in the series at Maryland (3/31-4/1) ... Had a pinch-hit home run vs. Clemson (4/16) ... Went 4-for-11 with four RBI in the series vs. Duke (5/12-5/14) ... Hit .500 (7-for-14) in Tech's series win over Miami (5/18-5/20) ... Hit a grand slam in Tech's 14-5 win in the middle game of the series against the Hurricanes ... Went 2-for-3 with two walks and two runs against the College of Charleston (6/10) in the final game of the NCAA Super Regional ... Went 3-for-5 with two doubles against Clemson in the College World Series (6/16)

Junior College: Lettered two years at Riverside Community College ... Hit .340 with nine home runs and 40 RBI as a freshman and earned first-team all-conference honors ... Batted .346 with three homers as a sophomore and was a preseason All-America selection.

High School: A three-year letterwinner for coach Gary Parcell at Norco High School ... A two-time first-team all-Riverside County honoree ... Hit .469 with 13 home runs as a senior ... Batted .440 as a junior and .375 as a sophomore ... Also lettered in football and soccer.

Personal: Full name is Walter A. Crancer ... Born July 7, 1984 ... Son of Walt and Lynn Crancer ... Sister Lindsey plays soccer at Chapman University ... Majoring in Management.

Man, from whats been posted here I like the guys we drafted today. Especially that Mahoney kid, he looks like a horse!

And I really like the fact that someone pointed out that we've gone after guys who have done well in the wood bat league at Cape Cod, too.

Also like the fact that we're going after college guys as well.

Here's to this draft significantly bolstering our minor leagues!

Low K rate for a reliever = you're not getting people out for long.

Unless he's an extreme ground ball guy. I don't know anything about him, but Joe has a idea of a future roles guys taken in these rounds. He's not afraid to draft a Chad Bradford type at this stage.

15th round - Tyrone Hambly, Grayson County CC, 3B, R/R 6' 230lbs.

Here's BA's take:

The best juco hitter in the state is third baseman Tyrone Hambly, who led national juco players in RBIs (85) and ranked in the top 10 in hitting (.478) and homers (15). Scouts aren't sold on his future position because he carries 230 pounds on his 6-foot frame. And because he's Australian, a team will have to use a visa to get him into pro ball. Hambly began his college career at Oklahoma State in the fall of 2005 before transferring to Grayson County, and he missed most of 2006 with a dislocated left shoulder. He has recommitted to the Cowboys but is considered signable.

This kid looks like a really good sign.

Unless he's an extreme ground ball guy. I don't know anything about him, but Joe has a idea of a future roles guys taken in these rounds. He's not afraid to draft a Chad Bradford type at this stage.

But even Bradford has a K rate, over his career, over 6 i believe.

Tony, what is your take on the draft so far??

It's pretty obvious that Jordan is going the college route this draft, which considering the state of hitting prospects in the system, looks to be a real smart move. Polished college hitters have a much better chance of at least becoming something rather than the complete busts that a lot of high school kids become.

I also like the fact that many of the hitters have wood bat success (cape cod) on their resumes.

The Orioles and their scouts have yet to prove they can find good hitting prospects after the 2nd round, so this year's draft should be a great test.

I like what I see a lot so far.

This is looking like a good draft...Mark, what do you think?

From the looks of it, I would say it's our best draft in recent memory. That's really saying something based on not having a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

I really liked last year's draft as well, but I like how Jordan is going the college route this year.

The first day was a huge success. Wieters and Arrieta could be fixtures on the major league club for quite some time. I'll give Jordan the benefit of doubt with Bascom.

Early 2nd round picks I really like are Angle, Widlansky, McConnell and Hambly.

Probably already been posted, but what the heck...its good

John from left field asks:

WOW the O's got Wieter. And they say they can sign him. Is this as good as it looks to be for Birds fans? What becomes of Brandon Snyder? Think he can hit well enogh to move to first?

A: John Manuel: Snyder moves to 1B or even LF; he's an athletic bat and not the catcher Wieters is. If Wieters signs, this is huge for the O's and I like taking Bascom and Arrieta where they did. Significant upside potential for the O's.

Archived