Are you in favor of the Pearce for Heim deal?

Frobby

Are you in favor of the Pearce for Heim trade?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the Pearce for Heim trade?

• Yes. Pearce can help us.
    • No. Too much to give up for a rental who will play part time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This trade seems like a payback for when we gave the Rays Chad Bradford for nothing down the stretch a few years ago. If we were on the other side of this trade we'd be banging our heads against the wall.

I remember when that happened, and I was actually glad about it ...... that's how much I hate the Yankees and the Red Sox.

P.S. At that time (2008), the Orioles's farm system was getting better, and would continue to get better in 2009 and 2010.

At that time (2008), I knew that the Orioles were at least 2 years away from being a contender (it wound up being 4 years), and although Bradford was our best relief pitcher at the time, he was a 32 year-old veteran who was not going to be part of the Orioles' return to respectability in 2010, 2011, 2012, and beyond.

So giving the D-Rays a player that might help them stave off the Yankees and the Red Sox for the division title (they did), and who also might help them beat them should they meet head-on in the playoffs (they did, with the D-Rays beating the Red Sox in that year's ALCS) was something that I liked. If they had given up somebody like Wieters, Reimold, Tillman, Bergesen, Matusz, etc. that had a good chance to be a part of the Orioles' future, then I would not have liked it at all. Giving them a veteran pitcher who was in the twilight of his career was considerably different than that, though.

This trade seems like a payback for when we gave the Rays Chad Bradford for nothing down the stretch a few years ago. If we were on the other side of this trade we'd be banging our heads against the wall.

Billy Beane still owes us a solid for Pat Neshek. Maybe he will send us Coulombe for cash...or a few MASN shares.

I like Pearce, and I'm not upset about Heim going to TB. So why vote NO?

Just another outfielder to muddy up the lineup. If they wanted a backup player for the bench, I would have preferred a player who could steal a base, or come in and move the runners over with a good contact AB.. or bunt. OH WAIT.. wrong team!

I like Pearce, and I'm not upset about Heim going to TB. So why vote NO?

Just another outfielder to muddy up the lineup. If they wanted a backup player for the bench, I would have preferred a player who could steal a base, or come in and move the runners over with a good contact AB.. or bunt. OH WAIT.. wrong team!

?

Pearce is hitting .310 this year with an obp of like .390. He gets on base and can serve as great depth while splitting with kim and giving otheers a day off if needed.

I just got back from vacation. Just got the great news that Steve Pearce is back with the team he belongs with. Welcome back! Let's sign him so that he never leaves again.

Id like if we did this offseason. Such good depth.

Heim seems like a guy who ultimately ends up as a backup-backup catcher. And that's after he simmers on the farm for a few more years.

Pearce fills an obvious and immediate need for a team that's in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline.

Hard for me to see how this poll isn't 100% positive on the move... (0_o)

I did not like Pearce last year. This year he is back to being a four win type player.

He's been a 2-win player in 60 games. But his career rate is 2.1 wins per 500 PAs, so he's probably going to be worth half a win over the 30-odd games he'll play from here on out. You can't just take a niche player whose playing time and role has been set up for him to succeed and extrapolate that over a full season.

Brother Lo wasn't a 7-8 win player in '82 because he was a 4-win player in 380 PAs.

He's been a 2-win player in 60 games. But his career rate is 2.1 wins per 500 PAs, so he's probably going to be worth half a win over the 30-odd games he'll play from here on out. You can't just take a niche player whose playing time and role has been set up for him to succeed and extrapolate that over a full season.

Brother Lo wasn't a 7-8 win player in '82 because he was a 4-win player in 380 PAs.

IMO, Pearce is a professional blue collar fan that fits in well this clubhouse and respected by Buck.

He isn't going to carry this team, or expected to, but like Flaherty, he will have a bench role/limited playing time that will help the team.

Again, IMO.

P.S. At that time (2008), the Orioles's farm system was getting better, and would continue to get better in 2009 and 2010.

At that time (2008), I knew that the Orioles were at least 2 years away from being a contender (it wound up being 4 years), and although Bradford was our best relief pitcher at the time, he was a 32 year-old veteran who was not going to be part of the Orioles' return to respectability in 2010, 2011, 2012, and beyond.

So giving the D-Rays a player that might help them stave off the Yankees and the Red Sox for the division title (they did), and who also might help them beat them should they meet head-on in the playoffs (they did, with the D-Rays beating the Red Sox in that year's ALCS) was something that I liked. If they had given up somebody like Wieters, Reimold, Tillman, Bergesen, Matusz, etc. that had a good chance to be a part of the Orioles' future, then I would not have liked it at all. Giving them a veteran pitcher who was in the twilight of his career was considerably different than that, though.

You knew it huh :scratchchinhmm: So after 11 losing seasons you knew and predicted the O's to win ok.

You knew it huh :scratchchinhmm: So after 11 losing seasons you knew and predicted the O's to win ok.

Actually, I was indeed anticipating the Orioles' turnaround it as far back as 2008.

I was not posting here at the time, but I was posting at the Baltimore Sun, and expressing the reasons for my optimism ...... partially because of the players that the Orioles had in the highest level of the minors, and partially because of Andy MacPhail having been hired on as the Orioles' G.M. the previous season.

Prior to the 2009 season, I expected the Orioles to have a competitive, winning season in 2010, and to contend for a pennant in 2011. The Orioles did it all in one shot in 2012, so I was off by 2 years on the winning season, and I was off by one year on the Orioles contending for a pennant. In fact, when I called Nestor Aparicio at his sports radio show the time (before I knew what a jerk he was), he thought that I was crazy.

And I had previously referenced one of the reasons why I thought so in a thread that I started in June of 2012, which alluded to my thinking in late 2008, and early 2009.

OFFNY's Original Big Ten from 2009

A few years ago, I had a list of 10 starting pitching prospects that were playing in the Orioles' minor league system at the level of at least Advanced-A or higher that were either highly (or at least fairly highly) touted at that time. Some of them are still with the team, some have been traded, and some are still in our minor league system.

My feeling at that time was that the numbers alone were in our favor. I thought that out of those 10 pitchers that were high-level (or at least fairly high-level) prospects, we should be able to get at least 3 or 4 starting pitchers that would have pretty good (or better) major league careers. I wasn't sure which of the 3 or 4 would make it and be live up to those expectations because sometimes the "can't miss" prospects miss, and sometimes the "middle-tier" prospects surprise and pitch like that of the "can't miss" prospect. And of course, sometimes they bomb out. :o

Anyway, it's a few years later, so I figured that I would throw the topic of where these players are now, and where they might be in 2013 and beyond out there for discussion. :)

OFFNY's 2009 Big Ten

1. Brad Bergesen

2. Jason Berken

3. Chris Tillman

4. David Hernandez ........ These were the 4 "AA Boys" at that time that anchored an excellent staff at AA-Bowie the previous season (2008). Between the 4 of them, they racked up 48 wins and 5 complete games with 3 shutouts in the 5-month season that year.

5. Brandon Erbe

6. Chorye Spoone

7. Brian Matusz

8. Jake Arrieta

9. Zach Britton

10. Troy Patton

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/122486-OFFNY-s-Original-Big-Ten-from-2009

Archived