I need to go away for a while...

scOtt

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baseball is entertainment. If you call players trash,GM's incompetent, say the team is done when they have the last wild card spot and are 3 games out with 30 to go it doesn't seem like you are enjoying it. Perhaps you should wonder why it makes you so upset. If you can't get over being upset over something that has such little bearing on your life maybe find something else to entertain you.
I get that, but certain posters have an agenda and they get on their flamebox, and its the same thing, over and over and over, it gets tired of hearing, over and over and over.

This is an extreme example and posted for levity's sake, but I envision this is what's happening at the other end of the computer sometimes on the games thread (and that was what Scott was addressing in the OP). Just substitute the Jeffrey Maier game for the Buckner clip he's watching and add in dialogue like "this game is over", "(insert name) is garbage", or a repeat the "what ifs" of every bad trade *yet again*.

[video=youtube;

[video=youtube;VtT_0wqNpCU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtT_0waNpCU

I get that, but certain posters have an agenda and they get on their flamebox, and its the same thing, over and over and over, it gets tired of hearing, over and over and over.

Look at it from the other angle. Would you rather everyone on here be positive and never critique the club, manager, GM or owner?

Whether people want to accept it or not, by being overly positive (see: drinking the koolaid) is very much the same as being critical in regards to getting on a soapbox. It's just a different kind of soapbox.

It's all about inciting discussion. The question is: is the opinion well founded? Is it factual? If so, people just need to put their big boy/girl pants on and deal with it.

Look at it from the other angle. Would you rather everyone on here be positive and never critique the club, manager, GM or owner?

Whether people want to accept it or not, by being overly positive (see: drinking the koolaid) is very much the same as being critical in regards to getting on a soapbox. It's just a different kind of soapbox.

It's all about inciting discussion. The question is: is the opinion well founded? Is it factual? If so, people just need to put their big boy/girl pants on and deal with it.

In the forum at large, of course. But it's the game thread Scott was talking about. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

Baseball is entertainment. If you call players trash,GM's incompetent, say the team is done when they have the last wild card spot and are 3 games out with 30 to go it doesn't seem like you are enjoying it. Perhaps you should wonder why it makes you so upset. If you can't get over being upset over something that has such little bearing on your life maybe find something else to entertain you.

The "negatists" here aren't just like this with the Orioles. This is how they live their life. Which is sad. The sort of people about whom I have always said if they won a million dollars on Powerball, they would be moaning about the taxes they had to pay.

In the forum at large, of course. But it's the game thread Scott was talking about. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

As far as I'm concerned, the game thread is where anything goes. Baseball is absolutely a rollercoaster. Ubaldo was a perfect example of that yesterday.

The first inning? The season is over...Ubaldo is awful again...Tillman may never be back...or rush Tillman back pronto.

When the O's took the lead? Get Ubaldo out while this game is still winnable

As Ubaldo pitched into the 6th and beyond? Wow, Ubaldo is back! Get Miley out of the rotation...let Tillman take his time

People say a lot of stupid ish in the game thread (me included, that's for damn sure). Unless you're insulting other members, I try not to take anything people say to heart.

Folks like that have a tendency to not really be fans of the club. No? There are people here who hate Peter Angelos. That hate Buck Showalter. That hate Dan Duquette or Brandy Anderson. But that does not exclude them as fans of the team or members of the site.

I get some of the Peter Angelos hate, I was a member of that club.

But, this isn't (Thank God!) the same ownership that we had, they have learned and in fairness credit where credit is due, needs to be applied.

At some point, you have to accept and acknowledge that things are not what they was. At least IMO.

The negativity has been coming from a couple sources for me. First, our record since the All-Star break... Second, our lack of meaningful activity at the trade deadline... Third, the fact that I was hoping for some starting pitching help over the offseason and we got none, and that has come back to bite us in the butt... Etc.

Honestly, the fact that the Yankees are again the darlings of the world... that they've suddenly morphed from old and gross into "young, fresh and hungry!" Annoying as hell.

Same with the Red Sox and their acquisitions.

So some of the negativity for me was pent-up from frustrations over the offseason, and a sense that their winning was not sustainable in the first place, because we don't have a lot of balance with this roster.

Maybe that's why it seemed a bit out of proportion to what has actually been happening on the field and in the standings.

Just spitballin. But I hear you. Negativity can get old, fast. On the other hand, to question whether someone is a "real" fan because you disagree with their negative take on the team right now - that's taking it too far, IMO.

I think if we're taking the time to post on a message board about the Orioles, we pretty much all qualify as the top 1% of Orioles fans.

Where did I say you or anyone wasn't a 'real' fan? I just said I don't get the negativity. I feel that way a lot. This team has been disappointing at times but we are still really, really good. Its a fun team to watch. I don't understand the mindset of constant negativity. Works for some, doesn't work for me.

Tony is not defending folks who just come here to troll or folks that support another team that come here to trash talk you. He is just saying being upset with the Orioles or their players is part of the deal.

My reply was not to Tony's post.

Yeah there is nothing wrong with saying a player is bad defensively or strikes out too much or certain players don't work the count. But there is a line. And also some people seem to want the team to fail so they can say I told you so.

It seems people don't seem to realize that all the teams in the league are run by professionals and the players are all trying their best to win. Even a bad team has good players on it and can beat you in any game. And they aren't going to trade you their great players for your scrubs and if you sign a pitcher no one else wanted it doesn't mean the GM is stupid. He has budget constraints and team rules like no-opt clauses, and number of years you can offer a pitcher, physicals that have to be passed and pitchers generally don't want to pitch half their games in Camden Yards. Losing to the Yankees 2 of 3 on the road doesn't mean your players are awful. The Yankees have won more games than they lost this year playing in toughest division in baseball and have a huge budget. They can sign top guys out of Japan and Caribbean that the Orioles GM is not given the same tools to work with.

Yes inciting discussion, is valid. But at some point, things are past history and yet, some posters, not necessary yourself, are beating up the team on almost a daily basis for letting Jake go, regardless of some of the fault has to be with Jake.

You also have to admit, when some posters want to fire the batting coach, and do not provide a reason for their opinion, its hard to discuss.

I get that we have opinions and not everybody thinks the same.

But, some posters like to flipflop.

Like one day, some of the posters are flaming Buck for not being smart enough to pull the SP, before they ran into 6th inning trouble, and yet the very next day, the same posters are complaining when Buck pulls the pitcher after 5 decent innings, dangit, come on Buck have trust in your SP and don't have an early hook.

Yes inciting discussion, is valid. But at some point, things are past history and yet, some posters, not necessary yourself, are beating up the team on almost a daily basis for letting Jake go, regardless of some of the fault has to be with Jake.

You also have to admit, when some posters want to fire the batting coach, and do not provide a reason for their opinion, its hard to discuss.

Like one day, some of the posters are flaming Buck for not being smart enough to pull the SP, before they ran into 6th inning trouble, and yet the very next day, the same posters are complaining when Buck pulls the pitcher after 5 decent innings, dangit, come on Buck have trust in your SP and don't have an early hook.

If Presidential candidates can flip-flop then so can OH'ers.i wish people did not wear flip flops to the game but that is another subject. They walk so slow and clog the concourse.

If Presidential candidates can flip-flop then so can OH'ers.i wish people did not wear flip flops to the game but that is another subject. They walk so slow and clog the concourse.

I'm not a fan of those who just stop walking in the middle of the concourse, but I haven't noticed a correlation with flip-flop wearing. Of course, I'm one of those wearing flip flops at a number of games, so...

Yeah, I can see what you mean on all of this. But that's both extremes. If there isn't proper support for your argument, then it's all emotional. And that's the worst.

Archived