Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com's projected Top Ten Picks

Seems like a pretty accurate top 10. I wouldn't be surprised to see that at all. I am still thinking that the Pirates take Matusz. It just reminds me of something they would do. They can still sell the fact that they took the top pitcher in the draft if they do and from what I have heard Matusz has already told them he would sign for slot money. I could be way off, but that is my opinion or maybe it is just me trying to will Alvarez into falling to us.

For the most part the baseball draft is such a crapshoot, that you should always take whomever is the best available prospect on your board…. But with our system currently well stocked in arms, and lacking positional talent… you can not take a pitcher unless you have him rated vastly higher then the available bats.

I think with the first pick you have to take who you think is the best player. I understand the disparity between our arms and bats, but you've got the whole draft to try to stock up on hitters. I think if you draft on "need" in the first round you're putting an awful lot of stock on that player panning out.

I definitely agree that, as a whole, I'd like to see the O's focus on hitting this draft, but with the top pick I think they need to take the best player.

Seems like a pretty accurate top 10. I wouldn't be surprised to see that at all. I am still thinking that the Pirates take Matusz. It just reminds me of something they would do. They can still sell the fact that they took the top pitcher in the draft if they do and from what I have heard Matusz has already told them he would sign for slot money. I could be way off, but that is my opinion or maybe it is just me trying to will Alvarez into falling to us.

Just curious. Where did you hear he told them he would sign for slot?

I don't know - Godon Beckham seems to be exactly what we need. Could be in the majors within 1-2 years at our position of biggest need. Any one of the top 10-12 players could be better then the others - total crap shot. So why not take the position of biggest need?

I don't know - Godon Beckham seems to be exactly what we need. Could be in the majors within 1-2 years at our position of biggest need. Any one of the top 10-12 players could be better then the others - total crap shot. So why not take the position of biggest need?

I think Gordon is really 3-4 years out. His game does not seem to transfer exactly over to the pros.

I think Gordon is really 3-4 years out. His game does not seem to transfer exactly over to the pros.

I'll bang the drum again...

Craw is exactly right, in my opinion. Beckham should start at HiA and progress to AA in his first year. I think you'll see him spend 2 years at AA/AAA before a ML call-up, and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't stick right away. I guess the upside is there, but I'd place him around 8th or 9th on my draft board, and wouldn't feel uncomfortable with him as low as 12th or 13th.

You have to remember this is not the same Pirates FO. This one should be more competent. But it is the same owner, and if matusz has said he will sign for slot (source?) then I wouldn't be suprised to see him go there.

Archived