Tillman or UJ on Tuesday?

SurhoffFTW

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting speculations:

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-orioles/post/_/id/1433/orioles-clinch-wild-card-time-to-hand-the-ball-to-ubaldo

Really. The undisputed worst starter in baseball during the first half of the season (7.38 ERA), Jimenez was banished to the bullpen by the All-Star break. He was routinely booed by the normally kind-hearted and forgiving fans at Camden Yards. For months, talk radio airwaves were filled with callers demanding that the 32-year-old right-hander -- who is in the third year of a four-year, $50 million contract -- be released. Instead, the Orioles held on to him, and it’s a good thing they did.

When Tillman hit the DL in late August, leaving an already thin rotation downright emaciated, manager Buck Showalter picked up the bat-phone and dialed 1-800-JIM-ENEZ. The veteran hurler answered the call and then some. Since he rejoined the rotation on Aug. 25, Jimenez has made seven starts, working to a 2.45 ERA that’s the third-lowest in the American League over that span. His 0.86 WHIP in the stretch is the best in the AL and ranks second in the majors, behind only that of Chicago’s Jon Lester.

Post-reboot, Jimenez is averaging 6.2 innings per start (fourth in the AL), and on Sept. 5, he tossed Baltimore’s first complete game in two years. As a result, he has helped turn an overworked Birds bullpen from fried to fresh. That's a big reason O’s relievers led all of baseball with a 1.37 ERA in September.

Now that the calendar has turned to October and the O’s have punched their playoff ticket, is Jimenez’s anchor leg over? Six weeks ago, the notion of him starting a wild-card game -- or any playoff game, really -- was preposterous. The idea of him being on the playoff roster was absurd. But given how dominant he has been lately and given the alternatives, how does Showalter not tap Jimenez to toe the rubber on Tuesday?

I bet Buck goes Tillman. Although I can't believe I'm saying it, I'd go Ubaldo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:agree: (including the "I can't believe. . ." part). I've got Bundy in the pen.

Ubaldo starts the opener against the Rangers, with Gausman up next.

I've thought about it for over an hour. I've watched some innings from recent outings by Tillman and Jimenez. I've looked at a lot of numbers. And here's what I believe: starting Tillman will be a huge mistake, and we will get crushed. I sincerely hope that Buck starts Jimenez. I can't believe I'm even saying that. But recent performance makes it look like the right move.

I would hesitantly go with Tillman with a quick hook if his stuff/command is not there.

Unfortunately, it may be too late if he has a typically bad first inning.

I think we get Liriano or Happ on three days rest. I doubt they will give us Stroman given how we've got to him this season.

And Estrada? He's tough on us!

Archived