Disheartening quote from Duquette in this article

miggyfan

OP, you are not likely going to change the principle construction of this team (OBP-less power, good defense, below average starting rotation, good bullpen) without a rebuild. All I took from this is basically Duquette confirming that we have not hit the period of time yet where we'll be selling off and rebuilding.

As it it not yet his time of dying.

hqdefault.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team has strengths and Duquette is going to try to keep those areas strong. I'm fine with that, so long as he's also trying to minimize our weaknesses. We do need more speed on the basepaths, better OBP and better OF defense.

To Sessh's comments, I think there is a foundation here to try to build a true WS contender in the short run. If we had been successful in signing Fowler, I think we would have had a legit WS contender this year. It will be interesting to see who Duquette chases this offseason.

The team has strengths and Duquette is going to try to keep those areas strong. I'm fine with that, so long as he's also trying to minimize our weaknesses. We do need more speed on the basepaths, better OBP and better OF defense.

To Sessh's comments, I think there is a foundation here to try to build a true WS contender in the short run. If we had been successful in signing Fowler, I think we would have had a legit WS contender this year. It will be interesting to see who Duquette chases this offseason.

I think he either chases Fowler (PLEASE SIGN HIM!!), Marakakis in a trade or Reddick. Sisco and Mancini at DH, and if they both bomb I'd trade for Byung Ho Park, because I see a gold mine in that guy. I'd try to trade Jimenez and Gallardo. Besides that, I'd try to keep Matt on a 2-3 year deal that isn't loaded and team friendly. If Trumbo accepts the QO, then he's our DH. I think he locks up Machado and Britton to longer deals, but Schoop comes next offseason,as does Tilly.

I don't think Dan is going to make expensive additions to the O's this off season. But he will probably improve the team.

Mancini had a .375 OBP away from Harbor Park while playing at AAA this season. His OBP was over .400 at AA in 2016. The fact that he didn't do as well at home in a pitcher's park probably isn't very relevant because he will be hitting at least half the time in Camden Yards. He hits lefties and righties so he does not have to be platooned as a DH.

Tony says Eric Thames is a better choice. I have no problem with that.

Dan said in post season press conference that Sisco's OBP could be additive to the team next year. We don't know when or how he will be promoted but its evident that Dan is looking at him to help the team next year.

Buck wants a leadoff hitter and the team needs a right fielder. I don't expect the Cubs to let Fowler go. But Dan will certainly try to find a player to fill that role. I think he may acquire several players with good OBP to compete with Rickard for right field. Some may be at AAA.

The Rule 5 guy the O's will most certainly pick has a good chance of being an outfielder. Probably a replacement for Reimold.

I don't see the O's trading the key bullpen pitchers. Worley may go.

The O's have a good team returning. They need to add speed, OBP and better outfield defense. I think Dan can do that without spending big dollars. The biggest spending will be done to keep Manny and Tillman IMO.

From outside the O's organization I see Dan adding a right fielder, another outfielder, maybe a backup catcher and depth.

Per Steve Melewski's article on MASN, these are this years nine Free Agents:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/10/notes-on-instructional-league-playoff-odds-and-free-agents.html

The Orioles have nine players that are free agents.

Pedro Alvarez

Michael Bourn

Brian Duensing

Tommy Hunter

Steve Pearce

Nolan Reimold

Drew Stubbs

Mark Trumbo

Matt Wieters

Per Steve Melewski's article on MASN, these are this years nine Free Agents:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/10/notes-on-instructional-league-playoff-odds-and-free-agents.html

The Orioles have nine players that are free agents.

Pedro Alvarez

Michael Bourn

Brian Duensing

Tommy Hunter

Steve Pearce

Nolan Reimold

Drew Stubbs

Mark Trumbo

Matt Wieters

Steve's question is who comes back. I would guess none of them.

Think about it this: think about our ballpark, our division, and the ballparks in our divisions. We're probably going to play to our strengths, and we're not going to be able to sign certain players because of our situation. OPACY is a homer run hitters park, and they also get to play a lot of games at Fenway and Yankee Stadium. So we'll be able to lure them. However, we're never going to lure the big time starters. They won't want to pitch at Camden, Yankees Stadium, and Fenway, and won't want to pitch against the AL East. As far as the bullpen is concerned, they're usually cast-offs anyway, who don't have much of a say in where they go.

Duquette on free agent spending "I don't see us spending same money as last year, don't have as many needs"
? MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio)
October 9, 2016

<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Translated into plain speak. We spent the wad, last season, so we don't have that ability to repeat that kind of purchases.

Wieters, Duensing, Bourn, Pearce.

I don't see signing any of them. Well I mean Wieters you can make a case for but almost any contract will be paying him far more than he produces. We can get Pearce at any time if we need him, likely the same story with Bourn.

I also can't see us brining in Fowler after what happened last off season.

We will have an awful time replacing Trumbo's offense but I assume The front office hopes Davis rebounds, Hardy is healthy and Kim turns into a full time productive player.

I don't see signing any of them. Well I mean Wieters you can make a case for but almost any contract will be paying him far more than he produces. We can get Pearce at any time if we need him, likely the same story with Bourn.

I also can't see us brining in Fowler after what happened last off season.

We will have an awful time replacing Trumbo's offense but I assume The front office hopes Davis rebounds, Hardy is healthy and Kim turns into a full time productive player.

I don't see the O's hitting another 253 homers next year but they can probably hit 200 with a higher OBP if they find a right fielder with a good OBP.

I don't see the O's hitting another 253 homers next year but they can probably hit 200 with a higher OBP if they find a right fielder with a good OBP.

I agree with this, but I am not sure who is out there.

We cannot afford Cespedes. Same with Bautista and he is declining fast and aging. I would hope we pass on Desmond, Holliday(age), Moss, Pagan. Saunders will likely cost too much money. Think if Fowler wanted to be here he would have been here last year. Bruce is ineffective, Beltran is old.

Maybe we go for Rasmus, Roddick, or Austin Jackson?

I agree with this, but I am not sure who is out there.

We cannot afford Cespedes. Same with Bautista and he is declining fast and aging. I would hope we pass on Desmond, Holliday(age), Moss, Pagan. Saunders will likely cost too much money. Think if Fowler wanted to be here he would have been here last year. Bruce is ineffective, Beltran is old.

Maybe we go for Rasmus, Roddick, or Austin Jackson?

Maybe it will not be a veteran.

Archived