CBS predicts that Wieters "unlikely" to get a QO; Trumbo definitely gets one

FanSince88

Id re-sign him. Im pretty sure im in the minority here, but he takes a lot of power pressure off Davis, who had a bad year last year despite some seemingly impressive numbers.

I would put the money toward extending Manny, Tillman and Kim. I don't see how the O's keep signing average players to large contracts and still afford Manny and Tillman.

The O's still have Davis, Manny, Jones, Schoop and Mancini as home run hitters next year. If they surround them with good OBP guys they may score more runs than last season. Remember they led all of baseball in homers with 28 more that the next team but were only 12th in runs scored (134 run behind the Red Sox). They need a different strategy to improve runs scored.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would not offer one to either one. Trumbo keeps saying he likes Baltimore so he'd like to come back and I don't want him in right field. Weiters is more a matter of principle to me. We held up his chance for big money from someone a year ago so now we should let him take his shot. Plus, paying money to either or both gets in the way of having money for Manny and others we need to keep on the team.

The FO didnt hold up any chances for Matt. He didnt have to accept the QO last offseason. IMO. Not sure I want either player on the O's next season.

No idea until the new CBA is set. Teams may not have to give up a pick for signing a player that received the QO. If that's the case, it might make offering Wieters the QO worthwhile for the O's.

Than what would be the point of a QO?

If the offering team just gets a free pick than no player is going to accept. (obvious hyperbole borderline ML talent would accept)

I would put the money toward extending Manny, Tillman and Kim. I don't see how the O's keep signing average players to large contracts and still afford Manny and Tillman.

The O's still have Davis, Manny, Jones, Schoop and Mancini as home run hitters next year. If they surround them with good OBP guys they may score more runs than last season. Remember they led all of baseball in homers with 28 more that the next team but were only 12th in runs scored (134 run behind the Red Sox). They need a different strategy to improve runs scored.

Mancini had a real nice week with the team but isn't it premature to be penciling him in as a contributor?

Than what would be the point of a QO?

If the offering team just gets a free pick than no player is going to accept. (obvious hyperbole borderline ML talent would accept)

I don't think so. The cost of the lost pick is what, $10MM? You basically just add that in to what players might expect to get on the market.

For instance, you still wouldn't have offered a QO to a middling FA like O'Day last year. And I don't see anyone else on the list of UFAs last year that I would have offered under my revised scenario.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/freeagents

I don't think so. The cost of the lost pick is what, $10MM? You basically just add that in to what players might expect to get on the market.

For instance, you still wouldn't have offered a QO to a middling FA like O'Day last year. And I don't see anyone else on the list of UFAs last year that I would have offered under my revised scenario.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/freeagents

I do think so. Look how long it took to get guys to start accepting with draft pick compensation in place.

And yes, I would have offered it to O'Day, the deal he got was a lot better than 1/15. Most players would rather have the multi-year comment and freedom to pick their destination.

Id re-sign him. Im pretty sure im in the minority here, but he takes a lot of power pressure off Davis, who had a bad year last year despite some seemingly impressive numbers.

Seems to me that Davis had his best two years when there wasn't another 40 HR guy in the lineup. There's no "power pressure" on Davis.

Archived