Andrew Miller and his 10 million dollar salary

brianod

The real story here is Cleveland proofing that the oriole pitching philosophy of building the strongest possible bullpen is proving effective in the playoffs. The only problem is that they are also proving that it may be better to have your strongest reliever be you 2 IP 7th and 8th inning guy and not necessarily your closer.

I have always maintained that is a bullpen's biggest weapon. I would love to see the Orioles fill it. I think if they give up on wright as a starter, tell him to ratchet up to 97 that he is a contender.

I think that's what they'll do next year and have Wilson in as a garbage man's Vance Worley

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The real story here is Cleveland proofing that the oriole pitching philosophy of building the strongest possible bullpen is proving effective in the playoffs. The only problem is that they are also proving that it may be better to have your strongest reliever be you 2 IP 7th and 8th inning guy and not necessarily your closer.

I have always maintained that is a bullpen's biggest weapon. I would love to see the Orioles fill it. I think if they give up on wright as a starter, tell him to ratchet up to 97 that he is a contender.

Keep in mind, Cleveland is using Miller differently in the postseason than they did in the regular season. He mostly was used for typical 1 inning stints in the 8th inning during the season. More than anything, this shows that postseason game management is different than regular season. Unfortunately the O's never got the lead after the 5th in the WC game so it is impossible to know whether Buck might have been more aggressive with Britton had the game unfolded differently.

The Indians are showing how to maximize the value of a dominant reliever in the postseason. Due to off days, Miller, pitches multiple innings in almost every day. He's not the Indians' closer, so they are allowed to bring him in before the 9th. #saverule I think a dominant reliever can influence a lot more games doing what Miller is doing in the playoffs than a closer who just pitches the 9th. I believe a lot more games are won and lost in the 5th or 6th innings than in the 9th.

The Indians are showing how to maximize the value of a dominant reliever in the postseason. Due to off days, Miller, pitches multiple innings in almost every day. He's not the Indians' closer, so they are allowed to bring him in before the 9th. #saverule I think a dominant reliever can influence a lot more games doing what Miller is doing in the playoffs than a closer who just pitches the 9th. I believe a lot more games are won and lost in the 5th or 6th innings than in the 9th.

That's a good way to think about it, even if a lot of the advantage is just in the ability to avoid falling into the save rule trap.

Elite closers usually don't last. For every Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman you have Jonathan Broxton, Eric Gagne, Jim Johnson, BJ Ryan, etc. I can find a ton of closers who had fantastic 2 to 5 years but eventually implode. I really like Britton, and it is great have a dependable closer to shut out games, I still have nightmares from when we had Doug Jones who was an All star closer before he came to Balt. But right now his value will never be any higher and we have holes that need to be filled.

I feel like Brittons unique stuff and unreal GB rate helps suggest that he won't turn into a pumpkin just because some other guys did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt he should net more than Kimbrel. Right about now the Giants, I would think, would give up the farm for him, but not sure they have anyone we want.

He should yea, but most folks thought Kimbrel was an overpay.

I'd still take any offer I got to the Astros to see if they wanted to beat it.

Archived