CSN Mid Atlantic ends baseball coverage immediately.

weams

Roch is a good writer and very funny. Britt is a much better writer. MHO.

It's largely a matter of taste I guess, but I think they're both mediocre writers. Roch for his incessant stream of poorly delivered puns and Britt for being humorless, grammatically plodding, and lacking in baseball insight. Call me nostalgic, but I miss being able to read Paul Folkemer everyday on the Hangout--That was a good writer, inventively meeting the daily challenge of covering a miserable team.

It's largely a matter of taste I guess, but I think they're both mediocre writers. Roch for his incessant stream of poorly delivered puns and Britt for being humorless, grammatically plodding, and lacking in baseball insight. Call me nostalgic, but I miss being able to read Paul Folkemer everyday on the Hangout--That was a good writer, inventively meeting the daily challenge of covering a miserable team.

Miserable team, that has won more AL games in the last 5 years, than any other team?

In this day and age of the internet and blogs, tweets and other quick release bytes, do you expect Mark Twain or Hemingway?

Miserable team, that has won more AL games in the last 5 years, than any other team?

In this day and age of the internet and blogs, tweets and other quick release bytes, do you expect Mark Twain or Hemingway?

I'm afraid you are not aware of the period I'm referring to: Paul wrote his daily wrap-ups largely (entirely?) during the losing seasons. Apparently you were not on the Hangout back then--Looking at your header now, I see that you weren't.

If pressed, I would say that Paul's style during that MISERABLE era of Oriole baseball was closer to Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., who I do enjoy more than Hemingway, but not Twain.

I almost feel bad for Roch because it's obvious he thinks he's actually funny, when in reality his "humor" is cringe-worthy bad. I had to block him on Twitter because of his moronic "is that good?" tweets.

Britt isn't good because she takes herself too seriously (you're covering baseball, not World War II) and is insanely boring/droning.

So it speaks volumes about Melewski, because they're both exponentially better than him.

This is one contradictory post. I prefer Roch because he's local. I don't know why that makes any difference to me, but it does. They are both excellent.

I almost feel bad for Roch because it's obvious he thinks he's actually funny, when in reality his "humor" is cringe-worthy bad. I had to block him on Twitter because of his moronic "is that good?" tweets.

Britt isn't good because she takes herself too seriously (you're covering baseball, not World War II) and is insanely boring/droning.

So it speaks volumes about Melewski, because they're both exponentially better than him.

What bothers me about Melewski, beyond his overhyping the farm teams, is his confrontational attitude toward anyone who looks beyond the slash line. OK, you can't be bothered to do your job and understand advanced metrics, fine. But don't dismiss out of hand what you obviously don't understand and certainly don't insult the portion of your target audience that does follow the game more deeply.

This is one contradictory post. I prefer Roch because he's local. I don't know why that makes any difference to me, but it does. They are both excellent.

I didn't view it that way.

He doesn't like Roch because of his sense of humor.

He doesn't like Britt because of her lack of a sense of humor.

He dislikes Melewski more than both Roch and Britt.

Could've worded it better. I like Roch's approach in that you can tell he loves what he does, but his sense of humor doesn't match up with mine in any way. It's too elementary and corny for my liking.

You can't accuse someone of not being funny and slam another's attempts in the same breath. Some people just aren't funny. It doesn't make them bad at their job. Would you rather have a comedian covering the team with no reporting chops? Truly a ridiculous criticism.

lolumadbro

It's a perfectly fair criticism. I like actual humor in my sports coverage. Dan Le Batard's show is more or less the only sports radio show in large part because it's funny and doesn't treat sports like anything more than what they are. Jonah Keri is my favorite baseball writer because he's not afraid to throw in a funny reference or a dank meme into his articles or tweets.

Roch, while clearly enjoying himself and not taking things too seriously, has a horrible sense of humor and his jokes are largely corny and poorly times.

Britt treats every game as if she's covering the Nuremberg Trials and makes no effort to have fun with any of her columns or anything related to the Orioles.

I don't understand what you're taking umbrage to other than the fact that it's me posting. Some baseball writers are funny, and some are way too far up their own you-know-what. If you don't fall in the middle of that Venn diagram, I do not and will not like your work.

Sounds like someone misses Spencer Fordin. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pleased to announce that I will be covering the Orioles in 2017 for <a href="https://twitter.com/PressBoxOnline">@PressBoxOnline</a></p>— Rich Dubroff (@RichDubroffMLB) <a href="

">November 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived