Buck Showalter Discusses Wild Card Criticism

PressBoxOnline

This whole thing has be rehashed over the OH many times so I'll say this:

It's a pretty questionable decision to go to Duensing and then Ubaldo instead of Britton. But once it's 1st and 3rd 1 out and it's obvious he's being hammered and EE is up' date=' it's absolutely indefensible not to put in Britton there (given his 80% GB rate). So if he was saving Britton on the road for the save, at that point it was obvious to every fan that unless Ubaldo gets quite lucky (line out at an infielder for ex.) then Britton will never enter the game because Ubaldo will have already lost it. Hence Buck who actually had done a good job in managing the game to that point (with a few exceptions, PH Reimold for Kim for ex.), made a decision that belies any kind of reason.[/quote']

I cannot improve or add to this response. So, rep.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck should take note how Francona is liberally using Miller and Maddon is using Chapman. They're doing it right, Buck, you got it wrong.

Under your supposed idea, we would not be having this conversation because Zach Britton would have already been used in the game prior to Ubaldo's melt down.

I don't think a "I made a mistake" or a "I was wrong" would have been out of place.

That being said tomorrow is more important than yesterday.

Maybe Buck has been watching the WS and taking notes.

I realize I'm in the minority, but I think Buck made a sensible decision to hold Britton for a true save situation, or as a last resort. He's already stated his position. I don't understand why people think he should apologize. He understands at a deep level the (inconvenient) truth: If it had only worked out, he would be a genius today. I know. But it's absolutely true. I can see the headlines: "Buck defies convention - Britton slams the door"... "Buck's bullpen genius shines again"... etc.

I actually think Buck is a baseball genius. And by that I mean: He understands the whole game. The rule book. His players' personal situations, what makes them tick. Situational defensive schemes; situational hitting and replacements. The whole thing. He's better at more baseball things than anyone I can remember watching. Davey Johnson was the last great manager we had. He didn't have nearly the people skills Buck has.

I cannot improve or add to this response. So, rep.

I actually need to amend my comment that Buck did nothing wrong with his decision to hold Britton back. Because I completely agree with this. Buck's true mistake was holding Britton out during that critical situation, where a double play could have saved us. Ubaldo was looking like hell, to be sure. So that was a head-scratcher. I realize it wasn't a save situation, but it was a do-or-die at bat. At that point, you can justify bringing Britton in. Same thing if you literally ran out of pitchers, like we did when CD came in to pitch. Still... I think it was just a mistake... one decision out of about 10,000 that got us to that postseason berth to begin with.

I realize I'm in the minority, but I think Buck made a sensible decision to hold Britton for a true save situation, or as a last resort. He's already stated his position. I don't understand why people think he should apologize. He understands at a deep level the (inconvenient) truth: If it had only worked out, he would be a genius today. I know. But it's absolutely true. I can see the headlines: "Buck defies convention - Britton slams the door"... "Buck's bullpen genius shines again"... etc.

I actually think Buck is a baseball genius. And by that I mean: He understands the whole game. The rule book. His players' personal situations, what makes them tick. Situational defensive schemes; situational hitting and replacements. The whole thing. He's better at more baseball things than anyone I can remember watching. Davey Johnson was the last great manager we had. He didn't have nearly the people skills Buck has.

I didn't say he should apologize.

I want to hear the totality of the thinking. For example, I didn't want to pitch Britton because Liriano looked really good. My thinking was that it was going to go far into extra innings and we really needed Ubaldo to provide us with some length given that all we had left in the bullpen was Britton and Bundy.

Then I would want an explanation as to why not Bundy closing.

Why can't he just explain his thinking at the time. I don't get it. Everyone already assumes his thinking was wrong. What is wrong with giving an explanation? Maybe some people will actually agree.

Just because some think he should have done something different doesn't guarantee

an O's win. He tried something that didnt work out. Every manager makes mistakes.

Just because some think he should have done something different doesn't guarantee

an O's win. He tried something that didnt work out. Every manager makes mistakes.

True, every manager does makes mistakes, but very few if any managers have ever lost an elimination game without using their best rested relief pitcher. It defied all reasonable decision making and for the people saying Buck would have been a genius if it had worked, I'd argue he would have just gotten lucky rather than any kind of strokes of genius.

Again, we have no idea whether or not the Orioles would have scored so you can't necessarily blame the loss on him, but you certainly can say he didn't give his team the best chance to succeed and that's pretty much what his job is during games.

By the way, this is pretty much as close as it gets for Buck giving a mea culpa.

"I don't have that ego [where I think I know everything]," Showalter said. "This game will humble you to your knees, and I tell the players, 'If you think you've got it figured out ? ' But if you stay true to it, it will let you up off the deck. You know, just keep grinding -- it's like the expression, 'I know God wouldn't give me too much for me to handle, but I wish he wouldn't have so much faith in me."

I see the Cubs fans upset with Maddon for using Chapman for 3 innings, when he wasn't needed (in their opinion) and with a critical game 7 coming up next.

I wish the Oriole game had ended differently, not sure if Britton and Bundy had both been used, if that would have helped the bats wake up. We will never know.

End of the day, Buck knows more about the game than I do, by far. I am not going to make excuses, nor will I condemn the man, either.

Losing sucks and the only way to wipe that taste out of my mouth is for next season to get here and they win a few games.

I see the Cubs fans upset with Maddon for using Chapman for 3 innings, when he wasn't needed (in their opinion) and with a critical game 7 coming up next.

I wish the Oriole game had ended differently, not sure if Britton and Bundy had both been used, if that would have helped the bats wake up. We will never know.

End of the day, Buck knows more about the game than I do, by far. I am not going to make excuses, nor will I condemn the man, either.

Losing sucks and the only way to wipe that taste out of my mouth is for next season to get here and they win a few games.

I found using Chapman in game 6 with a 5 run lead to be curious. I personally wouldn't have done it. But it is an elimination game. A 1% chance you're going to fall over and die is pretty severe.

They have a point. If the game were closer sure, but not sure why you stretch out your best reliever making him most likely unavailable in game 7. I know Madden will be able to use some of hi other starters, but not every pitcher can warm up quickly enough to be effective in relief. They've got Rondon of course but if the Cubs blow a save to lose the World Series Madden will have some explaining to do no doubt.

4200880[/url]]I found using Chapman in game 6 with a 5 run lead to be curious. I personally wouldn't have done it. But it is an elimination game. A 1% chance you're going to fall over and die is pretty severe.

Yep' date=' a curious move for a guy I generally consider to be one of the best if not [i']the[/i] best. Over thinking it is the best I can come up with.

They have a point. If the game were closer sure, but not sure why you stretch out your best reliever making him most likely unavailable in game 7. I know Madden will be able to use some of hi other starters, but not every pitcher can warm up quickly enough to be effective in relief. They've got Rondon of course but if the Cubs blow a save to lose the World Series Madden will have some explaining to do no doubt.

Its very curious and Madden is one of those names that comes up in conversation, when they talk about Buck and who is better than him.

I guess my point, every manager since Drungo started playing ball back in the 1880s have made crazy decisions, that us the fans, like to point out as wrong. Now, with the internet and social media, its so easy to sit back and flame away. :)

Archived