Will Steve Clevenger return to the O's?

wildcard

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frank Robinson? Wasn't he some "thug" with a gun that Clevenger hates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was.

Robinson was a 25-year-old outfielder with the Cincinnati Reds then, and in February of that year, he was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon, a gun that he drew during an argument with a cook in a Cincinnati sandwich shop. As Robinson headed to Tampa, Fla., less than a month later, he understood the incident would provide baseball's all- star agitators with a fresh supply of material.

Robinson had felt the sting of the bench jockey's needle before. As a black man coming up in the Reds' farm system, he was exposed to his share of racial insults. ''None of it was what I would exactly call humorous,'' he says now. ''Mostly, malicious.'' But Robinson, who eventually pleaded guilty to the charge and paid a small fine, laughed when he recalled the reaction he received to the concealed gun he had carried. ''Lew Burdette of the Braves was on me during spring training,'' he said, referring to the former Milwaukee pitcher. ''When we first played them, he came out with guns strapped to his side, just like in a western. I didn't get angry. I took it as being part of baseball. I had made a mistake and was paying for it.''

Nowadays, only his closest friends would mention the gun at all. ''Times have changed,'' said Robinson, who is the manager of the San Francisco Giants. ''Players have different attitudes now. They're friendlier and socialize with guys on other teams.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/08/15/sports/bench-jockeying-lost-art-in-baseball.html?pagewanted=all

Tejada was a total jackass (even as a kid I liked Brian Roberts over him), but then again so was Felix Pie when he was here.

Yes, well, any guy who uses one of his five tools chasing around batting helmets is never going to realize his potential.

Archived