Thoughts on Hyun-Soo Kim in 2017?

Frobby

In 2016, Hyun Soo Kim played in 95 games, including 78 starts, garnering 346 PA. In the first 81 games, he started 33 games and had 149 PA. In the second 81, he started 45 times and had 197 PA. He had very limited opportunities vs. LHP, starting only 3 games against them, getting only 22 PA, and going hitless.

Without turning this thread into a revisitation of the rocky spring training situation and Buck's limited use of Kim in the early going, how much do you think Kim will play in 2017, and how do you think he'll do? Will he get more chances vs. LHP, or is he consigned to a strict platoon role?

My guess is 100-110 starts, 450ish PA, and still basically a platoon role. I think his line will be close to his 2nd half line from 2016, .274/.350/.377.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I continue to believe that he will excel with the duties he is assigned.

Things are different to start 2017 then they were starting 2016. Kim has proven he can put up a high OBP vs right-handed pitching. I see him starting games vs right-handers. I think Buck gives him a chance in spring training to prove he can hit lefties. What happens there probably carries into the season.

Kim has also proven that he is not a rangy outfielder. I look for the O's to carry an outfielder that can replace him defensive late in games.

In 2016, Hyun Soo Kim played in 95 games, including 78 starts, garnering 346 PA. In the first 81 games, he started 33 games and had 149 PA. In the second 81, he started 45 times and had 197 PA. He had very limited opportunities vs. LHP, starting only 3 games against them, getting only 22 PA, and going hitless.

Without turning this thread into a revisitation of the rocky spring training situation and Buck's limited use of Kim in the early going, how much do you think Kim will play in 2017, and how do you think he'll do? Will he get more chances vs. LHP, or is he consigned to a strict platoon role?

My guess is 100-110 starts, 450ish PA, and still basically a platoon role. I think his line will be close to his 2nd half line from 2016, .274/.350/.377.

Seems pretty logical, if I was going to guess, I'd agree with that. Of course this is baseball, and sometimes logic goes out the window. He's liable to hit 30HRs next year, or hit .180. Or both. Christ I dunno (channeling my Bob Eucker from Major League, lol.).

In all seriousness though, I think you're pretty close to what we should see.

Does Kim have a no-trade clause in his contract? Doesn't it seem likely that 1) Kim would like to be somewhere that he can play more regularly and a) Buck would rather have someone who he views as a nugget, which for whatever reason Buck thinks Kim isn't? I suspect Kim would get many more starts and ABs on some other teams. (Of course, the likelihood and value of the trade depends on who the Orioles would get in return.)

I think he will see more playing time overall than this year because there won't be months like April where he barely plays at all. But he still won't play much against lefties, I don't see Buck budging much on that one as long as there are other options. In terms of performance, I'd predict a bit more power, maybe in the 10-15 HR range, but maybe a slightly lower AVG/OBP performance.

I think your projections are dead on. If Kim had a reasonable arm, I would love to see him start in left every day, and hit at or near the top of the order. But he doesn't, so I don't. I think we really need to go back to defense-first. It's confounding, because I love Kim's bat in our lineup. Kinda glad I don't have to make any of these decisions. But I do think a platoon role is ideal, with some other plus defender in left about 75% of the time at least.

Kim platooning and pinch hitting is just perfect, IMO. But then we need that left fielder.

I hope they use him in a platoon and only start him against righties. At the same time I hope the other half of his platoon is not Nolan Reimold. I know Buck loves him, but it is time to move on from him. Rickard as the other half of the platoon would probably be a good idea depending on who they are able to sign to fill the other OF spot. Rickard could also pick up extra work on days giving Jones and the RF they pick up a day off.

I hope they use him in a platoon and only start him against righties. At the same time I hope the other half of his platoon is not Nolan Reimold. I know Buck loves him, but it is time to move on from him. Rickard as the other half of the platoon would probably be a good idea depending on who they are able to sign to fill the other OF spot. Rickard could also pick up extra work on days giving Jones and the RF they pick up a day off.

I don't think Buck has stars in his eyes about Nolan Reimold.

Archived