BA's first mock draft

I think there's a few reasons why scouts think that we'll target Matsuz over Beckham or Smoke:

1) Brandon Snyder, Billy Rowell, and dare I say it -- Mark Teixeira. Mcphail isn't going to block those prospects already without letting them prove themselves. If there's a position we need for hitting, it's 2B/SS -- not 1B/3B.

2) Gordon Beckham isn't worth the #4 pick, not when we're comparing him to the likes of Brian Matsuz. From what I've seen of him, minus the painful delivery... he's Tim Lincecum reloaded.

1. No offense, but Snyder shouldn't even be a consideration. His bat is supposed to be his ticket to the major leagues, but he doesn't hit for much power and he doesn't get on base that much. His OPS currently sits at .665 at Frederick. Not drafting a first baseman because of already having Snyder would be really foolish.

(By the way, I am not one of those types that would love see an Oriole player fail to prove I was right. I would love to see Snyder blossom. I just think it's unliklely.)

2. Teixeira should also not be a consideration. The draft is chronologically before free agency. Even if we desperately want Teixeira, there's no guarantee that we will be able to sign him. The Yanks could offer him a gargantuan sized contract or maybe he decides that he likes it in Atlanta or who knows. So you can't base a decision on the 4th pick of the draft on an assumption that we will land Tex.

3. That leaves Rowell. Maybe he becomes a star, but he still has a long way to go and really who knows what will happen. And even if he pans out, that's only one corner infielder. Obviously, you need two.

Therefore, if the Orioles are thinking along the first point in your post, I fear that they will not become a championship organization anytime soon.

Now if they just think that Matusz is a much better prospect than Smoak, then fine. And I'll laud them for it. But I pray to the dear almighty that it's not because of the first reason you mentioned.

Archived