When Dan says, "To me he's a closer"...

Orange

Brach logged a ton of innings last season. His numbers suffered the 2nd half and, as has been noted, his command suffered. I know for a fact he had his knee scoped once the season ended. I'll bet it was barking at times the 2nd half of the season even though he continued to pitch. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

II Duquette is so confident Brach can close, why not insert him in as closer and get a haul for Britton? 

Exactly! I would be more than happy to take a Haul for Britton right now, and go with Brach, Givens and O'day at the back of the pen. Trading ZB right now is the only smart thing to do. Yes, I love Britton he is a stud. But in the business of ML baseball it is time

I don't know where this haul is coming from.  The nats traded away their top guys for Eaton.  The Marlins is a little lacking at the top.  

Miami- One top 100 prospect.  #37.  Was drafted this last draft out of HS.  

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=mia

Gnats- Two top 100 prospects.  OF Victor Robles #10.  SP Erik Fedde #75. Fedde has just touched AA and will be 24 to start the season, also has had TJ surgery before.  

You guys are criticizing DD for not trading Britton in a non existent market.  The smartest thing DD can do now is get two full seasons out of Britton while we're competing and then take the 1st rd comp pick.  There is no magical trade at the moment that clearly extends are window past 2018.  

I don't get it.  It's like some fans would rather spend the next two years of actual winning talking up a rebuild.  Isn't actual winning more fun than rebuilding for 2+ years and talking up potential winning?  Our last rebuild took 14 years.  The next rebuild isn't going to be fun.  DD and Buck won't be around.  Enjoy the winning now.   

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't know where this haul is coming from.  The nats traded away their top guys for Eaton.  The Marlins is a little lacking at the top.  

Miami- One top 100 prospect.  #37.  Was drafted this last draft out of HS.  

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2016?list=mia

Gnats- Two top 100 prospects.  OF Victor Robles #10.  SP Erik Fedde #75. Fedde has just touched AA and will be 24 to start the season, also has had TJ surgery before.  

You guys are criticizing DD for not trading Britton in a non existent market.  The smartest thing DD can do now is get two full seasons out of Britton while we're competing and then take the 1st rd comp pick.  There is no magical trade at the moment that clearly extends are window past 2018.  

I don't get it.  It's like some fans would rather spend the next two years of actual winning talking up a rebuild.  Isn't actual winning more fun than rebuilding for 2+ years and talking up potential winning?  Our last rebuild took 14 years.  The next rebuild isn't going to be fun.  DD and Buck won't be around.  Enjoy the winning now.   

One of the reasons the next rebuild isn't going to be fun is because we've delayed it so long. You can retool pretty quickly if you know when to sell high on your veteran assets. 

Mike Dunn just got a 3/19 deal from the Rockies.  It might be smart of us to try and extend Brach and offer him something like 4/22 now to buy us an extra 2 years of control.  Figuring he'll be the closer once Britton leaves in FA.  That's a fair deal that Brach might take for long term security.  

Year 1: 3 million, set up man

Year 2: 4 million, set up man

Year 3: 7 million, closer

Year 4: 8 million, closer

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

How often has that worked for the Orioles? [drafting college arms]

Specifically for the bullpen?

I don't know that they have tried it much if it at all.

I remember they picked a college reliever with a history of injuries and tried to make him a starter.  That didn't go well.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather go with the "Draft college arms in the 5-9 round range and fast track them for the pen".

Ideally this would work.  Or you could say that in 2018 we'll still have O'day and Givens under contract.  In 2019 we'll still have Givens.  We have a bunch of good relief prospects that should pitch in AA next year.  Liranzo, Scott, Messinger, Cleavinger, Leyva.  But if you want to keep pen a strength then you try and extend Brach.  

We haven't done a good job of extending our guys, but right now you could say that this is a good time to realistically extend Brach, Schoop and Gausman.  

38 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ideally this would work.  Or you could say that in 2018 we'll still have O'day and Givens under contract.  In 2019 we'll still have Givens.  We have a bunch of good relief prospects that should pitch in AA next year.  Liranzo, Scott, Messinger, Cleavinger, Leyva.  But if you want to keep pen a strength then you try and extend Brach.  

We haven't done a good job of extending our guys, but right now you could say that this is a good time to realistically extend Brach, Schoop and Gausman.  

I don't think Brach is the kind of guy you extend ahead of FA. 

53 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ideally this would work.  Or you could say that in 2018 we'll still have O'day and Givens under contract.  In 2019 we'll still have Givens.  

O'Day is signed through 2019.   Givens is under team control through 2021.    

Archived