Could Christian Walker be Trey Mancini in 2017?

ScGO's

They were essentially the same player at AAA this year, but Mancini has received much of the attention in conversations about our 2017 DH options while Walker is an afterthought for most.

Walker is one year older and has five seasons of experience to Mancini's 4, but, on paper, they look like very similar players.  Why isn't Walker still part of the conversation?  I don't think he's all that bad.  I don't know what it is about Norfolk, but it seems to kill our offensive prospects' stats.  Walker's OPS on the road last year was .841 and he had 15 of his 18 HR's on the road as well.  .676 at home.

I think we trade Mancini while his value is higher than it will ever be to help acquire more value in 2017 and we add Walker back into the conversations for potential DH solutions.  He might not be the ultimate solution, but I think there is more value in Walker than we think.  He's only going to be 26 this season.

Thoughts?

Statistically speaking, they have been similar players at most levels though Mancini was better at AA and AAA when stats matter more. The biggest drawback to Walker is that he struggles with good velocity and most scouts feel he doesn't have the bat speed for continued success at the major league level. His 13 strikeouts in 31 major league PAs certainly didn't quiet his doubters despite its small sample size.

Mancini is also considered a bigger target and little bit better defender at first base, though neither will win gold gloves there. It was good that Walker tried to add some versatility by going out to left field last year, but the results were not very good and it's doubtful he can convince major league teams he can be viable option out there for an extended time.

But if you can point to one thing that gives Mancini a leg up is his ability to mash lefthanders (.308/.384/.594/.978 last year in AAA) while Walker is more even and pedestrian against southpaws (.265/.348/.441/.789). I'm still not convinced Mancini is an everyday player on an upper Division team in the major leagues, but I do think he'll hit enough to get a chance if not with the Orioles, with someone full-time.

Walker could have an opportunity to carve out a Brandon Snyder type of career if he holds on and can have a good year that gets someone's attention. Throughout their careers I've had scouts tell me one was better than the others, and others that think they are were similar, but I think it's pretty universal that Mancini has jumped ahead of Walker on the prospect scene and will have a better major league career.

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Walker had a big ST last year. Mancini crushed it in September last year. Both might have some platoon success in the MLB but are blocked by Davis with us. 

They should have traded him this past spring when his value was higher.  He had 4 HRs but was K'ing a lot as well. 

I still think Mancini is one of our more tradeable players though.  I'd like to see him thrive this year, but I think the O's need to swing a deal of sorts before Spring Training. 

What are the O's trade assets right now?  Realistically as far as value to other teams and the likelihood that Dan would trade them?

One of Jiminez/Miley/Gallardo

Brach

Mancini

That's it for MLB ready value, as far as tradeable prospects that others would want and we can afford to send away?

Maybe Reyes, Mountcastle, maybe even one of our top three SP picks from last years draft? Maybe Scott, Stewart, or one of the Rule 5's even?

If Davis hadn't signed the contract last season, Walker would have been the starter. If he had produced really well in Norfolk, he probably would have come up. He was dealing with some injuries and personal stuff, along with the horrible batting experience at Harbor Park, the place were batting goes to die.

8 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If Davis hadn't signed the contract last season, Walker would have been the starter. If he had produced really well in Norfolk, he probably would have come up. He was dealing with some injuries and personal stuff, along with the horrible batting experience at Harbor Park, the place were batting goes to die.

If Davis signed elsewhere, Trumbo would have been the first basemen and they would have signed an additional outfielder. 

1 hour ago, POR said:

If Davis signed elsewhere, Trumbo would have been the first basemen and they would have signed an additional outfielder. 

Yes, that was the plan. Walker was nowhere near starting at first base.

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

...along with the horrible batting experience at Harbor Park, the place were batting goes to die.

I saw on wikipedia the dimensions of Harbor park are 333 down LF pole, 400 to CF, and 318 to RF pole.  Can't find the power alley dimensions though.  I would guess that's what makes it such a tough hitters' park?

23 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I saw on wikipedia the dimensions of Harbor park are 333 down LF pole, 400 to CF, and 318 to RF pole.  Can't find the power alley dimensions though.  I would guess that's what makes it such a tough hitters' park?

As I understand it, there is a fairly constant prevailing breeze blowing in off the harbor.  Never been there myself, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

46 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

See the comment below.

20 minutes ago, Number5 said:

As I understand it, there is a fairly constant prevailing breeze blowing in off the harbor.  Never been there myself, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

I went there a couple of times this past season. It literally sits next to the harbor (a home run to right could go into...uhh...Norfolk Tide?) and the temperature drops quickly there and the wind comes in pretty good. I was watching batting practice a few times and balls that would have landed on Eutaw street were barely going into the bullpen there. Balls that would be several rows deep don't even make the warning track. Also, balls that would drop in for hits tend to hang up in the air a bit longer too.

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Statistically speaking, they have been similar players at most levels though Mancini was better at AA and AAA when stats matter more. The biggest drawback to Walker is that he struggles with good velocity and most scouts feel he doesn't have the bat speed for continued success at the major league level. His 13 strikeouts in 31 major league PAs certainly didn't quiet his doubters despite its small sample size.

Mancini is also considered a bigger target and little bit better defender at first base, though neither will win gold gloves there. It was good that Walker tried to add some versatility by going out to left field last year, but the results were not very good and it's doubtful he can convince major league teams he can be viable option out there for an extended time.

But if you can point to one thing that gives Mancini a leg up is his ability to mash lefthanders (.308/.384/.594/.978 last year in AAA) while Walker is more even and pedestrian against southpaws (.265/.348/.441/.789). I'm still not convinced Mancini is an everyday player on an upper Division team in the major leagues, but I do think he'll hit enough to get a chance if not with the Orioles, with someone full-time.

Walker could have an opportunity to carve out a Brandon Snyder type of career if he holds on and can have a good year that gets someone's attention. Throughout their careers I've had scouts tell me one was better than the others, and others that think they are were similar, but I think it's pretty universal that Mancini has jumped ahead of Walker on the prospect scene and will have a better major league career.

That's the first I've seen any opinion on how he looked in left. Thanks.

9 hours ago, ScGO's said:

They should have traded him this past spring when his value was higher.  He had 4 HRs but was K'ing a lot as well.

Walker didn't have any trade value then, just as he doesn't now. No team was going to give up anything worthwhile just because he hit 4 homers in spring training.

Archived