Mike Wright Preparing In Case Orioles Need Another Starter

PressBoxOnline

Looks like Mike should have listened to the coaches instead of Brady.  His poor performances are repetitive and his post game quotes always make it seem like he has no clue how he's really doing. His quotes in Meleski's blog tonight are typical. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think the Orioles are going to regret not keeping Vance Worley.  Mike Wright is not an option as a fifth starter. 

Miley/Jiminez/Wright combo has the potential to burn out the bullpen in April.  Fister is still available and has been a ground ball heavy pitcher in his career.  

I think Worley isn't very good but better than the crap we have currently. Wright is a reliever, some are 4A and others too green. It's going to be a very long season.

completely agree on Fister and if he sucks, oh well, gotta try

i also think Miley is complete garbage. I'd rather Lee pitch and I don't think he is ready.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:24 PM, OFFNY said:

o

6 OUTS: o 2 Groundouts, 1 Strikeout, 1 Popout, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineouts

DENNIS MICHAEL WRIGHT o)o (vs. TWINS, 3/24) )) [ [Spring Training] 

IP:;)..l) 2

H:))))l  7 (3 Double, 4 Singles) ll

R:ll)lll) 5

BB:olll)1

SO:l))l 1

Pitches: l) 51 0(33 Strikes, 18 Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 8.38 0(Spring Training)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.965 0(Spring Training)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .362 0(Spring Training)

PITCHES BY INNING

16   (9o .Strikes, )l7o Balls)  

35 0(24 )Strikes, ll11 lBalls)

o

o

Showalter on Mike Wright's Struggles

(By Steveh Melweski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/03/showalter-on-wrights-struggles-and-more-after-tie-with-twins.html

o

On 3/25/2017 at 1:04 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agree that Chris Lee is the best option for Tillman replacement that is currently in the Orioles organization. 

I am in the "anyone but Mike Wright" camp.  The Orioles have to do better than him.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, dan-O said:

It's time to close the book on Mike Wright as a starter, folks. He's bad. I know I've put my foot in my mouth recently calling Bundy bad, but Mike Wright really and truly is bad. The move to the 2seamer really has not worked and IMO that's the last bit of experimenting that should be done with Wright as a starter. 

Give him the Jim Johnson treatment. Keep the 2seamer, lengthen his stride a bit, and tell him to let it rip out of the 'pen. 

I agree Mike Wright isn't likely to be a successful major league starter.    I'm not sure he'll succeed in the bullpen, either, but his odds are probably better there.   I think the team just wants to preserve as many starter options as possible right now, since that's their weak spot.    They've got lots of options for the bullpen.  

• 4 weeks later...

I got a few texts today from O's friend's saying something to the effect of "Wright? WTF".

My thoughts exactly. I have seen bits of 2 of his starts and he looks like a deer in the headlights. Wright has looked bad even for Wright standards.

He needs to be moved to the bp down there. I think the O's are looking for one of these guys to get lit up, so they can pass them through waivers honestly.

Yacabonis actually deserves a promotion (not on 40-man).

Richard Rodriquez is pitching well (not on 40 man).

Tanner Scott-12 innings, 17 k's, 5 walks. I guess something has clicked (hope to see him soon at a game) (is not on 40-man, but he better be, because someone is going to pluck him in the first pick of the rule 5 next year).

Also on a side note, not sure what they see in Crighton to put him on 40-man so soon. That move puzzles me.

Here's Wright'shot as a reliever. Two years ago he was called up the same day as Givens to give the pen a shot in the arm. Wright got hurt right away and Givens went on to be Givens. He'll protest be a long guy, but I see no reason he can't parlay this opportunity into a bigger role.

Wright is going to be out of options next year. I don't know how many more chances he'll be getting. It's time to produce. 

Archived