Mike Wright Preparing In Case Orioles Need Another Starter

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Mike Wright pitch in Kansas City against the Royals last year, I came away impressed. He has really good stuff. I know the board is pretty sour on this kid, but I remain a fan. I think Wright puts it together and becomes a very solid rotation member.  About a month later, I ran into Eric Hosmer at Jack Stack in OP Kansas. Really nice guy, and we talked baseball for about 10 minutes. I told him I was a life long O's fan, and that I saw Wright pitch against the Royals earlier in the year. Hosmer said, "that guy is going to be really tough. I don't feel real comfortable hitting off of him.". FWIW.

I don't get it. There have been a many MLB pitcher come up and struggle and later put it together. I know he's not a high prospect but he has some decent stuff that may materialize at the big leagues. There's really no reason for a DFA though.

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm of the opinion he will be DFA'd by April 1. Nothing to see here.

Lol. No chance of that happening. Zero.

Does anybody remember how many chances Tillman had, and how he sucked so many times? News flash, most young pitchers no matter how highly regarded, tend to struggle on their arrival at the show. Mike Wright has talent, give him some time.

2 hours ago, theobird said:

Lol. No chance of that happening. Zero.

Does anybody remember how many chances Tillman had, and how he sucked so many times? News flash, most young pitchers no matter how highly regarded, tend to struggle on their arrival at the show. Mike Wright has talent, give him some time.

He has talent, it's just putting it together in his head and being consistent will be what makes him. Everything is in front of him 

He's pitching pretty well against minor leaguers and ST invitees. Until he shows it consistently in the majors, I'm a skeptic. His fastball has looked good, but his off speed pitches still look loopy and hasn't shown too much command of them. He's a one pitch pitcher. Has a good fastball. I think he's a BP arm at best.

I was there for his MLB debut vs. the Angels...I'll never forget that game....I vividly remember him hitting 97 in the 7th. 

I think he had a no-no through 3 or 4....I don't remember any walks....7 innings.....6-8 k's. 

He's such a frustrating guy.  He's got nasty stuff.  His FB is big, and when he can command the slider, it's nasty.  I still remember guys in his debut waving at it as it dove out of the zone away to RH hitters.  If he can control his emotions, he could be a quality starter in the big leagues.  I just hope he does it before he runs out of options and then figures it out while pitching for someone else.

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Results matter.   Put up or shut up.    I don't think he's earned it so unless he has 2 or 3 lights out starts to end the spring, I think he has to go to Norfolk and be lights out down there in order to be first in line should the winning candidate falter.

Absolutely, I don't disagree at all.  He has to show the ability to harness his emotion and command his pitches.  Even his FB, at 97mph, will get crushed if he keeps throwing it belt high out over the plate.

18 hours ago, CP0861 said:

I was there for his MLB debut vs. the Angels...I'll never forget that game....I vividly remember him hitting 97 in the 7th. 

I think he had a no-no through 3 or 4....I don't remember any walks....7 innings.....6-8 k's. 

Remember Chris Waters?

Archived