Brady would like to see Mancini get steady at bats this season

wildcard

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Can the O's contend with Mancini at DH?   There are probably different opinions within the O's organization.   Brady speaks very highly of Mancini's ability to hit.  "The guy can mash." is Brady's opinion.   So do the O's pass on Trumbo?   Let Mancini be the primary DH?  

I have wondered whether the O's would really go to the 165-170M in payroll that Trumbo would require.     Its still an open question IMO.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/01/anderson-on-mancini-the-guy-can-mash.html

I like Mancini, he's going to be a solid big league player.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, at some point, you've got to give him a chance to play.  I support that.  If he's going to be a productive big leaguer, than get him the ABs.  I'm just saying they need to have an insurance policy just in case.  But the more and more I think about it, they've got to get Mancini ABs this season.  Anything else is doing both him and the organization a disservice.  If he's ready, and it sure sounds like he is, play him.

I have no doubts Mancini can hit in a platoon role as a DH. wether he can hit as well as Alvarez or Trumbo is another matter. But those two will likley cost alot, and Mancini is making league minimum. Save the DH money to resign the '18 FA's. 

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I like Pedro, but are you convinced that either he or Kim can play everyday?  If you signed Pedro, that would have to happen.  We know Smith can't play vs. LHP.  With only two spots remaining on the roster after signing Pedro, and one being Smith's platoon partner, It would be impossible to platoon both Kim and Alvarez.  Pedro actually hit better vs. LHP in a SSS last season (.671 OPS vs. lifetime .606), but his history would tend to indicate that we got lucky there.  And we are talking .671, which isn't exactly fantastic, even if he can keep that up.  Kim?  Who knows?  I'm just not sure that I like the idea of depending on an unlikely possibility coming to pass in order to for the team to succeed.

With a 25 man roster, eventually one of your lefties is going start vs a LH SP.  I'd put my money on Trumbo being re signed.  But if we do go with Pedro would could get creative with the last bench spot.  Like how we do with the bullpen.  

We've really never seen Buck and DD have decent, optionable guys on the bench.  Mancini, Walker, and D.Alvarez all have options and have shown they can hit LHP.  The bullpen should have more flexibility now without Worley and one of Gallardo/Ubaldo taking up a spot.  I'm hoping the rotation will be improved and more consistent.  WIth that being said we could call a RH bat up from AAA to play against a LH SP. 

My best guess is we'll be going with Trumbo in RF and Tavarez on the bench.  Mancini in AAA.  

5 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I continue to not see where Alvarez fits on this team. We have two LHH platoon outfielders right now in Kim and Smith that will need platoon partners. On top of that we need to carry a backup catcher and infielder (likely Joseph and Flaherty). As a result, we're left with two positions to be filled by the Kim and Smith platoon partners. I don't see where we have a spot on the bench for another platoon. I know DD is talking about another LHH, but I just cannot see where one fits unless that LHH is a full-time player and not a platoon bat like Alvarez...unless, you are of the opinion that Kim is that everyday player, but I don't get the sense that Buck agrees with that (Smith has clearly proven that he is not a good option against LHP). If we are to get another LHH, that player basically needs to be an everyday answer at RF or DH. 

If we were to sign Alvarez and Pagan, then the only platoon problem you would have is that one of Kim or Smith would have to play against LH starters depending on the day. The argument is that the disadvantage caused by Kim or Smith playing against LHers would be preferable to the disadvantage caused by paying and giving a pick for Trumbo, and also preferable to giving more playing time to Rickard or a different lighter-hitting outfielder. At least that's the way I see it. 

Alvarez/Pagan is the route I'd go if possible, but I think there are actually a lot of options right now that will all lead to a similarly talented team. 

4 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

If we were to sign Alvarez and Pagan, then the only platoon problem you would have is that one of Kim or Smith would have to play against LH starters depending on the day. The argument is that the disadvantage caused by Kim or Smith playing against LHers would be preferable to the disadvantage caused by paying and giving a pick for Trumbo, and also preferable to giving more playing time to Rickard or a different lighter-hitting outfielder. At least that's the way I see it. 

Alvarez/Pagan is the route I'd go if possible, but I think there are actually a lot of options right now that will all lead to a similarly talented team. 

I think it is safe to assume that neither Kim nor Smith will face lefties, unless they are relievers. 

55 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With a 25 man roster, eventually one of your lefties is going start vs a LH SP.  I'd put my money on Trumbo being re signed.  But if we do go with Pedro would could get creative with the last bench spot.  Like how we do with the bullpen.  

We've really never seen Buck and DD have decent, optionable guys on the bench.  Mancini, Walker, and D.Alvarez all have options and have shown they can hit LHP.  The bullpen should have more flexibility now without Worley and one of Gallardo/Ubaldo taking up a spot.  I'm hoping the rotation will be improved and more consistent.  WIth that being said we could call a RH bat up from AAA to play against a LH SP. 

My best guess is we'll be going with Trumbo in RF and Tavarez on the bench.  Mancini in AAA.  

Worley might be  back with the O's before opening day.   Right now Wright, Wilson, or Verrett are the 6th starting pitcher.   Worley record  as a starter is better than any of them.    I could see him signed  by the O's for between 2-3m. 

That still leaves one spot for the other three.   I don't see Drake making the team.  I think he is a late ST trade for a minor leaguer.

25 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Trey is going to mash, as Brady says.  He is a beast.  I am in the big fan category and would love to see him get 400-500 at bats, but it may end up not being for the Orioles. 

If that happens, it's a failure for the FO.

11 minutes ago, weams said:

I think it is safe to assume that neither Kim nor Smith will face lefties, unless they are relievers. 

I think you're probably right. Especially not Smith. I think Kim might get some chances.

But if they refuse to bat Kim and Smith against lefties, that means they pretty much have to either sign Pagan or sign Trumbo and put him in RF. And either way it relies on Rickard playing against all lefties, and although it's certainly possible I don't have much faith in Rickard being any better than last year.

Relating to the OP more specifically, I do hope Mancini makes the roster. I don't see how he'll get to 400 or 500 at-bats though, unless through injuries. Because I think they'll sign another hitter who will either slot directly into DH or into the OF, pushing Kim or Smith to primary DH. 

This is an issue with the Orioles. How much of their talent is home grown vs. how much home grown talent they have traded or given away?

Give Trey a chance. If he pans out, great. If he falls flat, atleast you saw it. Saying "we have a 2 year window and that is why we need proven players" is dumb. If you keep holding back your minor leaguers, then of course your team and system is going to suffer. You can't find gems without some pressure. I'd rather see Mancini come up and get a full season of at bats than overpay someone to do the same thing and always wonder if Mancini was a fluke in September.

20 minutes ago, weams said:

I think if Dan gets his way one of Kim or Smith get traded before opening day.   He might not be able to find a match but I think he will try.

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I think you're probably right. Especially not Smith. I think Kim might get some chances.

But if they refuse to bat Kim and Smith against lefties, that means they pretty much have to either sign Pagan or sign Trumbo and put him in RF. And either way it relies on Rickard playing against all lefties, and although it's certainly possible I don't have much faith in Rickard being any better than last year.

Relating to the OP more specifically, I do hope Mancini makes the roster. I don't see how he'll get to 400 or 500 at-bats though, unless through injuries. Because I think they'll sign another hitter who will either slot directly into DH or into the OF, pushing Kim or Smith to primary DH. 

I think there will be few opportunities for Kim to experiment this season. Maybe if the Orioles extend him. 

Archived