Brady would like to see Mancini get steady at bats this season

wildcard

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Nothing wrong, if you get something decent in routine.

Honestly, his lack of position hurts his market value.

Wait until ST.  If Mancini is hitting the ball with authority all over the yard the scouts will see it and his trade value as a  first baseman will be there.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is nothing wrong with Dan trading Mancini for a good young outfielder.

I would agree, IF, the outfielder is under team control for at least 3 or 4 seasons, and gives the Orioles production roughly equaling (or bettering) the production Mancini would provide his team (from a WAR perspective).  Somehow I don't see that trade happening, but we'll see.  Look, this doesn't have to be difficult - just stick Mancini at DH and let's see if he hits like people in the know say he will.  Give your touted prospect a legit chance to develop into a quality big league player, that's all I'm saying.  Trading him and not ending up with equal value for at least several seasons is a waste.

14 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

This is an issue with the Orioles. How much of their talent is home grown vs. how much home grown talent they have traded or given away?

Give Trey a chance. If he pans out, great. If he falls flat, atleast you saw it. Saying "we have a 2 year window and that is why we need proven players" is dumb. If you keep holding back your minor leaguers, then of course your team and system is going to suffer. You can't find gems without some pressure. I'd rather see Mancini come up and get a full season of at bats than overpay someone to do the same thing and always wonder if Mancini was a fluke in September.

It's true that we've made a few regrettable trades, but a lot of our talent is actually homegrown. In our rosters recently we've had an above average portion of our core contributions coming from homegrown players compared to the rest of the league, thanks to guys like Machado, Schoop, Wieters, Britton, Gausman, Bundy, Givens. 

I do hope they hold on to Mancini, unless he's able to bring back a better young player than I think he would. 

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is nothing wrong with Dan trading Mancini for a good young outfielder.

Does Granderson count as young?

30 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Nothing wrong, if you get something decent in routine.

Honestly, his lack of position hurts his market value.

He has a position...1B...just not with the Orioles.

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wait until ST.  If Mancini is hitting the ball with authority all over the yard the scouts will see it and his trade value as a  first baseman will be there.

I'm not sure how a guy whose value everybody already knows only comes from a decent hit tool is going to get a major trade value boost from some good ST stats. 

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Buck thinks spring training is a bad time to evaluate a player.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unlike Buck they put a lot of stock in September performance?

I could see them getting a + Glove - Bat guy.

Sure but it would probably be an AAAA type guy.  I don't consider that type of player "good" (relative to other big league players; obviously they're exceptional at baseball to make it that far).

9 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

It's true that we've made a few regrettable trades, but a lot of our talent is actually homegrown. In our rosters recently we've had an above average portion of our core contributions coming from homegrown players compared to the rest of the league, thanks to guys like Machado, Schoop, Wieters, Britton, Gausman, Bundy, Givens. 

I do hope they hold on to Mancini, unless he's able to bring back a better young player than I think he would. 

True. I probably wasn't too clear on my post, which is my mistake. Unless the person is the top prospect they have, they almost seem reluctant, even in September. Mancini is a good example. Look at his performance.

One thing that bugged me...If they hadn't given Chris Davis half the net worth of Baltimore City, what would have happened at first? Would it have been Walker coming up sooner, a full season of Mancini, a position change for Sisco?

Archived