Make your Billy Hamilton trade offer

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, POR said:

As an Orioles fan I was heartbroken when they lost to the Royals in 2014.  It seemed like the Royals outfielders caught everything.  I am still not sure how Lorenzo Cain got to the ball that Pearce hit in game two.  That style of baseball worked pretty well for them in the AL.

I don't think the Orioles have the pieces to acquire Hamilton.  The Reds have little incentive to trade Hamilton unless the Orioles trade pitching which the Orioles don't have enough to trade.  I think outfield defense was a major issue for the Orioles last year.  Jones is average in center but the defense at the corners positions were a weakness that does not appear to have improved.  

I came into into this thread because I thought it was ridiculous that you would not trade Mancini for Hamilton. Mancini is a grade B prospect that is blocked for the next three years.    Putting Hamilton in center and Jones in right may not be realistic but it would be just what the Orioles need rather than the one dimensional team that they were last year. .

Jerry Dipito has the Mariners going in this direction with the Mallex Smith and Jerome Dyson acquisitions the last few weeks.  Dipito must not realize that the Mariners are in the AL.  

We will see how Jerry continues to do. My thoughts before and now are still that the Orioles do not need Hamilton, nor is his type of player going to push this AL contracted team any farther than the current executive management has. I already recanted that I would not trade Mancini for him. Because then I'd trade Hamilton for something that the Orioles could use. Hopefully a player with natural on base skills. Not speedy little flukes. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, POR said:

As an Orioles fan I was heartbroken when they lost to the Royals in 2014.  It seemed like the Royals outfielders caught everything.  I am still not sure how Lorenzo Cain got to the ball that Pearce hit in game two.  

Lorenzo Cain? I'd take him. And put him in right. 

9 minutes ago, POR said:

As an Orioles fan I was heartbroken when they lost to the Royals in 2014.  It seemed like the Royals outfielders caught everything.  I am still not sure how Lorenzo Cain got to the ball that Pearce hit in game two.  That style of baseball worked pretty well for them in the AL.

I don't think the Orioles have the pieces to acquire Hamilton.  The Reds have little incentive to trade Hamilton unless the Orioles trade pitching which the Orioles don't have enough to trade.  I think outfield defense was a major issue for the Orioles last year.  Jones is average in center but the defense at the corners positions were a weakness that does not appear to have improved.  

I came into into this thread because I thought it was ridiculous that you would not trade Mancini for Hamilton. Mancini is a grade B prospect that is blocked for the next three years.    Putting Hamilton in center and Jones in right may not be realistic but it would be just what the Orioles need rather than the one dimensional team that they were last year. .

Jerry Dipito has the Mariners going in this direction with the Mallex Smith and Jerome Dyson acquisitions the last few weeks.  Dipito must not realize that the Mariners are in the AL.  

Mallex Smith is a Tampa Bay Ray.

I mentioned this in another thread, but will repeat it here. The Reds bullpen is atrocious. I’m talking the worst in baseball. And last season it wasn’t really a question of if someone was going to blow a save it was a question of who’s going to blow the save. I also sense they’ve grown a little frustrated with Hamilton, even though he’s still young and can improve. I think if you dangled a top notch reliever in front of the Reds, like Brach, they might bite. And as I said in the other thread, if they consider including Iglesias in the deal as well then I’d even consider putting Britton on play.

Anyone who thinks Hamilton wouldn’t make the Orioles a better team is fooling themselves. He would be an everyday player and allow them to platoon Smith and Kim (neither one is an everyday player). And he would give them a long term replacement option for Jones in CF when he starts to lose a step. Hamilton is already an incredible defensive player and his speed is a difference maker. All that needs to be done is a slight swing correction, to level out those fly ball/ground splits, and you have yourself a player who can possibly hit .270 with 70+ steals and 100+ runs scored. That is a valuable commodity in any league or division. Is there a risk that he won’t develop further? Sure, but you have to take risks in this game to be successful, especially when you’re playing in a division who don’t have monetary restrictions.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mallex Smith is a Tampa Bay Ray.

I forgot that they turned right around and traded Smith to the Rays.  However, the point remains that Smith is a similar type of player that is now in the AL. 

2 minutes ago, POR said:

I forgot that they turned right around and traded Smith to the Rays.  However, the point remains that Smith is a similar type of player that is now in the AL. 

On teams that I expect to be exciting, yet not competitive. 

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but will repeat it here. The Reds bullpen is atrocious. I’m talking the worst in baseball. And last season it wasn’t really a question of if someone was going to blow a save it was a question of who’s going to blow the save. I also sense they’ve grown a little frustrated with Hamilton, even though he’s still young and can improve. I think if you dangled a top notch reliever in front of the Reds, like Brach, they might bite. And as I said in the other thread, if they consider including Iglesias in the deal as well then I’d even consider putting Britton on play.

Anyone who thinks Hamilton wouldn’t make the Orioles a better team is fooling themselves. He would be an everyday player and allow them to platoon Smith and Kim (neither one is an everyday player). And he would give them a long term replacement option for Jones in CF when he starts to lose a step. Hamilton is already an incredible defensive player and his speed is a difference maker. All that needs to be done is a slight swing correction, to level out those fly ball/ground splits, and you have yourself a player who can possibly hit .270 with 70+ steals and 100+ runs scored. That is a valuable commodity in any league or division. Is there a risk that he won’t develop further? Sure, but you have to take risks in this game to be successful, especially when you’re playing in a division who don’t have monetary restrictions.

Britton gets you two top 100 prospects. An MLB ready starting piece, and a flyer. With high ceiling. Not these types of names. Four players. All good. 

1 hour ago, paulcoates said:

The Orioles (Buck) simply does not value speed as an offensive component.

I think Buck, like most good managers, tailors his strategies to fit his personnel.    Tony Womack stole 72 bases for Buck one year (and his team stole 137 bases that year).    The roster he has doesn't include players like that.   If he had one, I'm sure he'd use his talents, just like Earl Weaver did with his 1973-74 teams after years of playing station to station baseball.   If you have a guy who steals successfully 88% of the time (as Hamilton has done the last two years), then you turn him loose.    If you have a team that doesn't have guys who are good at stealing, then you don't.    But that doesn't mean that Buck wouldn't value a player like that.  

I'm done debating this, since I think we all agree that we're not pursuing Hamilton and don't really fit as a trade partner with the Reds.  It's a wholly hypothetical discussion.   

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Man I like watching good defense.

I also like not cringing everytime a ball is hit in the air.

What if they just moved the plate out 30 feet?  330ish in the alleys, 380 to CF.  It would be like Colorado, eight runs a game, but all homers.  Machado and Schoop would be able to cover 25% of the OF so it wouldn't really matter if none of the actual outfielders had any range.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What if they just moved the plate out 30 feet?  330ish in the alleys, 380 to CF.  It would be like Colorado, eight runs a game, but all homers.  Machado and Schoop would be able to cover 25% of the OF so it wouldn't really matter if none of the actual outfielders had any range.

You are going to get a pitcher killed having him throw that close.

• 2 years later...

Archived