Make your Billy Hamilton trade offer

Just Regular

Meanwhile, the Reds completed a minor dump trade today.  I think most analysts would say they need a rebuild, but it was a little interesting they made a first move in that direction this late in the offseason.

Hamilton might be around for the next good Reds team, but you could argue he's like Sale or Eaton too.

With Trumbo back, how good of a last player would he be for us?  He might be the second banana to Kiermaier, or even give him a run for his money, as baseball's best defensive OF.  He might solve a PR problem because AJ would have to go to LF for him.

Dylan Bundy for Billy Hamilton?

Bundy and Givens?

After that our future assets drop to the Mountcastle tier.

Then reconnect with Jason Hammel for 1/6 or some such, or see if anything can be curated from Jorge de la Rosa on a minor league deal.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way am I including Bundy in a deal for a guy with no power and a career .297 OBP in three seasons. 

I would consider Givens and Mancini, but they don't need a first baseman.  Hamilton has some value because of his speed and defense but he's a significantly flawed player.  

I don't see any scenario where trading Bundy (or Gausman) makes this team better. I'm also not convince (yet) that Hamilton can hit enough to be an everyday player. I have no problem taking a flyer on him, but I wouldn't be willing to give up much more than the Mariner's gave up for Dyson...and I suspect the Reds will want considerably more. 

No way in hell do I trade Bundy for Hamilton. If we didn't already have Kim, Smith, and Trumbo I might be into the idea of a package around Givens but there's no room for anyone really except someone to possibly split time with Smith.

Anthony Gose was DFA'ed by the Tigers just yesterday. He was traded by Toronto to Detroit for Devon Travis a couple of years ago, a bad trade for the Tigers as it turned out. Gose has not impressed in the motor city and was eventually demoted way down to AA. A light hitter with blazing speed, similar to  Kiermaier and Hamilton in the outfield, he would be a nice piece to have in the system and could back up CF if necessary.

12 hours ago, Number5 said:

I think we probably have guys in house on the farm that can make outs nearly as often as Hamilton.

Well sure, but the point of the idea is that Hamilton is the Trout of defense and baserunning, someone so good you can punt both corners and still have good OF defense overall.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=of&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=3&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=9,d

FWIW, he went 8-for-15 on 1-10% plays and 4-for-6 on 10-40% plays last year.  Jones was 1-for-9 and 1-for-7 in those same bands, but notionally would kick sand in Kim or Smith's face at corner OF defense, so maybe that's a net gain of 10-15 hits (mostly XBH) into outs in a season.

He's the last person on the planet a pitcher would walk, but got his rate over 10% in the second half while posting a .360 OBP and had a history of walking in the minors.

He had 13 Baserunning Runs last year in 460 PA - among qualified hitters Betts and Trout led MLB last year with around 9, though they had ~700 PA to accumulate them.

It's a bet on the come, but Kiermaier now has cache as one of baseball's secret best players, and if Hamilton has a 80th percentile skills outcome and stays healthy, he may blow past him.

Apologies for too many Hamilton glass half full words - this is more trying to improve my understanding on some of the new OF defense stuff, and Hamilton v. Orioles OF's is an easy bright contrast for a beginner.

14 hours ago, oriole said:

No way in hell do I trade Bundy for Hamilton. If we didn't already have Kim, Smith, and Trumbo I might be into the idea of a package around Givens but there's no room for anyone really except someone to possibly split time with Smith.

I'm not trading Mancini for Hamilton. Or Givens. 

46 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

In a vacuum it would be nice to move Adam Jones to a corner outfield spot for Hamilton's glove. The team doesn't exist in a vacuum, so Hamilton doesn't have a spot here.

After next year we can discuss the speedy little guys...

51 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Well sure, but the point of the idea is that Hamilton is the Trout of defense and baserunning, someone so good you can punt both corners and still have good OF defense overall.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=of&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=3&season=2016&month=0&season1=2016&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=9,d

FWIW, he went 8-for-15 on 1-10% plays and 4-for-6 on 10-40% plays last year.  Jones was 1-for-9 and 1-for-7 in those same bands, but notionally would kick sand in Kim or Smith's face at corner OF defense, so maybe that's a net gain of 10-15 hits (mostly XBH) into outs in a season.

He's the last person on the planet a pitcher would walk, but got his rate over 10% in the second half while posting a .360 OBP and had a history of walking in the minors.

He had 13 Baserunning Runs last year in 460 PA - among qualified hitters Betts and Trout led MLB last year with around 9, though they had ~700 PA to accumulate them.

It's a bet on the come, but Kiermaier now has cache as one of baseball's secret best players, and if Hamilton has a 80th percentile skills outcome and stays healthy, he may blow past him.

Apologies for too many Hamilton glass half full words - this is more trying to improve my understanding on some of the new OF defense stuff, and Hamilton v. Orioles OF's is an easy bright contrast for a beginner.

Hamilton is the Trout of defensive metrics. Or Kiermaier. But that does not equate to the runs that it would predict. 

Archived