Trade With the Rays?

ELMERO

Just now, Frobby said:

His big problem last year was a big uptick in gopher balls.    My guess is he rebounds.    But I tend to agree that he's not likely to get any better than he was in 2015 (which was awfully good).

The AL East is hard to pitch in. I think he will continue to give up his share of Homers. He's a good pitcher. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, weams said:

The AL East is hard to pitch in. I think he will continue to give up his share of Homers. He's a good pitcher. 

The parks are tough, but for both Archer and our SPs sakes, there are no more David Ortiz and Edwin Encarnacion at bats to maneuver around.  Or Michael Saunders (he hit us very well).

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I am somewhat pessimistic myself, but I'm not anxious to make the long-term prognosis materially worse.  

Certainly understandable...if you think Bundy and Gausman take off and at least one of Sisco, Mancini, Walker or some other position player make it into an All star level of play then maybe the future isn't so bad...but I'm not really counting on that right now when we have such a nice window right now with multiple perennial all stars on the team. I want to see a WS team.

8 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Here's, maybe a "little boy" thought.  Erasmo Ramirez and Mallex Smith for Brach and Mancini?  Trading within the division is taboo, but it'd be a quick fix to fill positions of need for both clubs, wouldn't it?

I also will give you credit for presenting a trade idea that actually makes sense, and seems fair to both sides. I am a big believer that Mancini is going to be a real nice ML bat. But there is no doubt that the Orioles have put a hard block in his path with Davis and Trumbo. That is something I would not have done, but it is not up to me. At this point, if you can move him for a young player with od upside at a position of need, it is probably the right way to go.

1 hour ago, theobird said:

I also will give you credit for presenting a trade idea that actually makes sense, and seems fair to both sides. I am a big believer that Mancini is going to be a real nice ML bat. But there is no doubt that the Orioles have put a hard block in his path with Davis and Trumbo. That is something I would not have done, but it is not up to me. At this point, if you can move him for a young player with od upside at a position of need, it is probably the right way to go.

Thanks.  I foolishly assumed that, upon Trumbo's FA departure, Mancini was going to be given every opportunity to emerge as our full-time DH, with Kim still in LF, because, surely, DD was gonna go out and get us an above average RFer, enabling Jonesy to shade a little more toward LF.  Of course, "when you ASSUME.........."

We are pretty close to being on the same page. I actually "assumed" that DD was going to get a superior defensive CFer and move Jones over to RF. Jones, imo, would quickly become an off the charts defensive RFer. If you had a really fleet, defensive CFer we would go from worst to first in OF defense. But, I "assumed"......

54 minutes ago, theobird said:

We are pretty close to being on the same page. I actually "assumed" that DD was going to get a superior defensive CFer and move Jones over to RF. Jones, imo, would quickly become an off the charts defensive RFer. If you had a really fleet, defensive CFer we would go from worst to first in OF defense. But, I "assumed"......

If someone of authority would remind Jones that he is a player and not the guy in charge, he would've been switched to RF for the good of the team.  I don't know if he actually had "his meeting with Mr. Angelos", but I found that a little disturbing, that he was going to jump the "chain of command."  If he really wants a more athletic OF, his switching to RF, could do so.  But, hey, it's a little bit late now to look for a speedy CFer.  He would be one of the best RFers in baseball. which would be to his benefit in the not-too-distant future.  I think you can safely "assume" that nobody, in control, has the balls to tell him.

Archived