Orioles Settle With Gausman

weams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So much for their file to trial rule

I think they agreed with my prediction that they would lose the Gausman case

Apparently.    Or, they bought the logic that arbitrating with Gausman might harm his fragile psyche.    In any event, it's a reasonable result and I'm looking forward to see if Gausman can take his game up another notch in 2017.   

The thing about "file and trial" is, you never know what number the other side is going to file at until they file, so you really can't judge whether you're likely to win or lose.   Let's say the O's offered Gausman $3.15 mm during discussions and Gausman was at $3.95 mm.    The O's judge they're likely to win that case and so they say "file and trial."   Then Gausman files at $3.55 mm.    That changes the calculus of who's likely to win. I'm not saying that's what happened -- I don't know if agents  routinely reveal their "file" number before they actually file it, or hold it close to the vest.    But it would explain why a team says "file and trial" and then reverses its course.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, season hinges on him and Bundy.  If those two can up their games and deliver we can be in the thick of it for the AL east crown.  They have the stuff, they just need to put it together.

Glad they settled.  

I share your opinion.    I do think the performance of the other starters also matters.    The offense and bullpen are fairly predictable, but the starting pitching could be anywhere from above average to awful.  

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The thing about "file and trial" is, you never know what number the other side is going to file at until they file, so you really can't judge whether you're likely to win or lose.   Let's say the O's offered Gausman $3.15 mm during discussions and Gausman was at $3.95 mm.    The O's judge they're likely to win that case and so they say "file and trial."   Then Gausman files at $3.55 mm.    That changes the calculus of who's likely to win. I'm not saying that's what happened -- I don't know if agents  routinely reveal their "file" number before they actually file it, or hold it close to the vest.    But it would explain why a team says "file and trial" and then reverses its course.

Or maybe extension talks showed some promise. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Maybe the "file and trial" was just a way to get guys to rethink things. They immediately came to terms with Machado after they came out with that. Now Gausman. I'm sure they were fine going to a hearing with Joseph. 

Yeah, but you lose credibility for the future if you declare a "file and trial" approach and then back off without a very good reason.   In this case, the settlement leans heavily towards Gausman's filed position.

Archived