My understanding has been from the beginning that TB is considering other players for the #1 pick, but why?

TB has picked #1 before, with David Price getting a big contract at #1 just last year. So if the consensus is that Pedro Alvarez is the best player in the draft, or at least in the discussion, why would TB avoid him?

Pedro does play a decent 3B, although 1B or even a corner OF may be in his future, so while the Rays are set at 3B with Longoria, Alvarez could displace Pena at 1B or move to RF. Regardless, Alvarez should fit in fine, and although he'll cost more $ than either Posey or TBeck, he seems a safer bet to be worth the top spot.

Thoughts?

My understanding has been from the beginning that TB is considering other players for the #1 pick, but why?

TB has picked #1 before, with David Price getting a big contract at #1 just last year. So if the consensus is that Pedro Alvarez is the best player in the draft, or at least in the discussion, why would TB avoid him?

Pedro does play a decent 3B, although 1B or even a corner OF may be in his future, so while the Rays are set at 3B with Longoria, Alvarez could displace Pena at 1B or move to RF. Regardless, Alvarez should fit in fine, and although he'll cost more $ than either Posey or TBeck, he seems a safer bet to be worth the top spot.

Thoughts?

$10mio is a really big number and he isn't heads above T-Beckham, Matusz or Posey. Price was clearly the top player in the draft, with talk that he could have pitched in the ML last season. I think Pedro is very good, and probably my #1. Is he worth twice the cost of Posey or 175% the cost of Beckham? I don't know...

$10mio is a really big number and he isn't heads above T-Beckham, Matusz or Posey. Price was clearly the top player in the draft, with talk that he could have pitched in the ML last season. I think Pedro is very good, and probably my #1. Is he worth twice the cost of Posey or 175% the cost of Beckham? I don't know...

I hadn't heard the 10 million part, but I imagine that the Rays could get him at $7m, or as you said take another player. Hard to say what it will take. I wouldn't rule out Pedro though. :)

I hadn't heard the 10 million part, but I imagine that the Rays could get him at $7m, or as you said take another player. Hard to say what it will take. I wouldn't rule out Pedro though. :)

I think they could get him at $7mio, as well. You're absolutely right not to rule him out. I think it comes down to how strict a team is with their budget. Some teams have a loose budget for the draft, some have a specific amount not to be exceeded. If the choice is Posey for around $4mio and $3mio more to spend elsewhere, that may impact a cost-conscious team like Tampa.

Who knows????:drek:

I think they could get him at $7mio, as well. You're absolutely right not to rule him out. I think it comes down to how strict a team is with their budget. Some teams have a loose budget for the draft, some have a specific amount not to be exceeded. If the choice is Posey for around $4mio and $3mio more to spend elsewhere, that may impact a cost-conscious team like Tampa.

Who knows????:drek:

Good points... hard to know for sure.

I decided to drum out the talk and use my own feelings on what's in the best interest of each team as far as who goes where.

I've re-done (again) my mock draft with Pedro at #1. It makes the most sense. Then I read that there is a rumor that Jonathan Mayo heard stating Alvarez could be in the mix. Who knows... but for now I'm going Pedro unless strong word comes out otherwise.

Greg..Judging by this title, you are letting the novel get to your head. :D

BTW, if they think he is the best player, they should take him..Worry about the position stuff later.

LOL. Agreed, the Rays should take the best player on their board.

Thoughts?

When scouting Price last year, they have seen enough of Alvarez to determine he was their man, regardless of his injuries this year...Food 4 Thought

Archived